Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
I've been holding out for a long time. I've been using the same G3 iMac I got in 1998 (rev A). But it couldn't even render some popular website correctly anymore, so took the plunge when the new iMacs came out and I'm really happy with it.

Set up was ridiculously easy. I felt like I should have had more to do, but its just up and running.

I've got to get use to OS X, since I've been using OS 9, but so far so good. Expose works much better than I expected, dashboard is cool. I kind of miss having the application switcher in the upper right corner. Guess I'll have to get use to tabbing through open applications. not a huge problem though.

I didn't expect the web browsing speed to be so significantly upgraded (since browser speed has a lot to do with connection speed), but wow, I didn't expect it to be that fast.

The machine looks better in person than in photos I think. I really like the new iMac design.

The screen doesn't have any glare problems for me. I had my old iMac set up side by side and its amazing to me that I didn't think my old display was blurry, but this is a whole new world. The only problem I have the screen is it just seems so big that moving the mouse around is a bit more difficult, but that's not a bad problem to have. Just going to take some getting used to.

I'm digging the keyboard. It looks like it would be more difficult to type on, but it actually has a very smooth operation and enough tactile feedback to be effective. I'm a noisy typer, so I appreciate the fact that its so quiet.

Speaking of quiet, this machine is silent compared to my old machine. Of course, the old G3 iMacs had a fan that ran even when it was sleeping.

The only problem I've had is getting the old OS 9 machine to network with the new machine so I can get some files off of it. Worst comes to worse I'll use a 1 gig compact flash card to transfer files over (will be slow since the old machine is just USB 1). But if anyone can help with setting up the network, let me know.

In short, here's the comparison:

Processor: 233 mhz G3 -> 2.4 gigahertz Core 2 Duo
Display: 13" viewable -> 20" viewable widescreen
Ram: 192 megs -> 1 gig (may upgrade to 2 gigs in the future)
Hard drive: 20 Gigs -> to 320 gigs

Not a bad upgrade, haha. Its nice to be back with the current computing scene. Now I've just got to learn a bunch of new things.

Not that any of you should necessarily care, but I just thought I'd share how glad I am that I finally bought this machine.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Wow, that's quite an upgrade... congrats on your new computer.

I wish I remembered enough about OS 9 to help you get networking working. :eek:

elcerrito494

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
haha. This is kind of ironic because like three days ago I was watching the intro of the first iMac and Steve says "we didn't hold back on this machine. We put a SUPERfast 233MHz *gasps from audience* processor in this thing" and then I ordered my new iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.