Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burger011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
This is the second time in six weeks that Apple has sent me home with a bad burner. I first brought it in because it wouldn't accept disks, I brought it in got it back and a few weeks later the thing just spit them out. So I brought it back and I just got it back Monday and its doing the same thing again.

What do I do, this is getting stupid. I have Apple Care (its a classic iMac bought in Nov of 2001) was wondering what provisions are there under Apple Care to compensate people who have these sorts of repeated problems. I can't tell you how pissed I am.

Thanks.

Burger

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Umm, are you talking about those old CRT display built in imacs?
Like Strawberry, purple, snowwhite etc.?
Those have never had a a high quality cd roms.
Similar to what they put in $600 pcs, those optical drives bust at the heavy use within 2-3 years.
I suggest you just get an external dvd-rw. - $320
or external cd-rw - $80

Cheers.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Re: Classic Imac CD Burner busted AGAIN!

Originally posted by burger011
This is the second time in six weeks that Apple has sent me home with a bad burner. I first brought it in because it wouldn't accept disks, I brought it in got it back and a few weeks later the thing just spit them out. So I brought it back and I just got it back Monday and its doing the same thing again.

What do I do, this is getting stupid. I have Apple Care (its a classic iMac bought in Nov of 2001) was wondering what provisions are there under Apple Care to compensate people who have these sorts of repeated problems. I can't tell you how pissed I am.

Thanks.

Burger

CD burning isn't always perfect. If your media isn't by:
Sony, Imation, Kodak, or Verbatim, or it isn't packed in jewel cases instead of a spindel, or it has adhesive labels added to it, you may run into disks that are either unreadable or unburnable.

The other companies making CD media use a dye that is a composite of the high quality ones, and sometimes their own dye which is not one of the patented dyes. Storage on a spindel leads to disks bouncing on each other with the label side and the writable side of disks stacked on top of another facing each other and causing the writable side to get scratched. Labels that are too close to the edge of the CD cover an important writable surface at the beginning of the tracks, and not to mention the heat of the drives can cause them to lose adhesiveness and get caught in the drive mechanism.

Also if burning data with less than 1.5 GB of hard disk space free, you may run into the case where the hard disk is overworked trying to cache the entire image file to the hard drive before burning. Try to keep you hard disk at least 1.5 GB free in space before setting the Finder to burn data.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I would like to add Khypermedia to the list of acceptable CD-R brands. That's what I usually get and the dye is very opaque and a very good color.

That said, if you need something that will last a REALLY long time, go with your Sony, Imation, Kodak, or Verbatim, but if it's a monthly backup (which doesn't need to last longer than a month), there are a few other brands that will do fine (Khypermedia is among them).

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I would like to add Khypermedia to the list of acceptable CD-R brands. That's what I usually get and the dye is very opaque and a very good color.

That said, if you need something that will last a REALLY long time, go with your Sony, Imation, Kodak, or Verbatim, but if it's a monthly backup (which doesn't need to last longer than a month), there are a few other brands that will do fine (Khypermedia is among them).
Thank you.

Looks like:

http://www.Khypermedia.com

goes nowhere. It would appear they need a better webmaster.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Sounds to me like it is a hardware issue not a bad disk issue. I would call Apple and explain the problem to them, if you are not satisfied with the answer tell them you want to speak to their manager and tell them. Eventually someone will usually get your problem fixed so you are happy. I have heard of people getting new product to replace items that are perpetually broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.