Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:15 PM   #1
matt1987
macrumors member

Is it safe to use InsomniaX or Caffeine?

I really want to use my MBP to download torrents. Big ass torrents at that.

So, I tried InsomniaX once where it puts the display to sleep but keeps the HD on and a secondary display is on.

Is this really safe/endorsed by Apple though?
matt1987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Cheesecake
macrumors member

I've been using Caffeine to keep my screen up, even during normal use. I only turn it off if I know i'm going to step away from the computer and not need it to do anything special.

Don't know anything about InsomniaX, sorry.
Cheesecake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:20 PM   #3
matt1987
macrumors member

But is it SAFE?

Cause, how else can one successfully download torrents on his MBP when he's not around it too much? I don't want to hurt the display or HD or battery but I wanna download torrents like I do on my desktop...which insinuates leaving it all night long.
matt1987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:24 PM   #4
desenso
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1987 View Post
But is it SAFE?

Cause, how else can one successfully download torrents on his MBP when he's not around it too much? I don't want to hurt the display or HD or battery but I wanna download torrents like I do on my desktop...which insinuates leaving it all night long.
In the "System Preferences" pane you'll find a section called "Energy Saver". In there you can establish various settings, including keeping the computer "on" at all times, but putting the display to sleep when it is inactive.

Why use the applications you list? Mac OS already gives you the tools you need.

By the way, this isn't the best way to solicit help in what is otherwise a well-intentioned discussion forum. Asking for advice on how to go about pirating in the most effective manner will not elicit as my responses as you might hope. Whether or not that's your motive, in the future you might benefit from omitting all the specifics.
desenso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:24 PM   #5
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Yeah they're safe. Of course, running your machine 24/7 will inevitably reduce its workable lifespan but not necessarily by much. If you're downloading torrents then your machine may get quite hot with all the hard drive activity, so make sure it's in a well ventilated area.

Having said all that, I personally use iTunes to keep my machine running when necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desenso View Post
By the way, this isn't the best way to solicit help in what is otherwise a well-intentioned discussion forum. Asking for advice on how to go about pirating in the most effective manner will not elicit as my responses as you might hope. Whether or not that's your motive, in the future you might benefit from omitting all the specifics.

Let's just assume they're legal torrents.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:30 PM   #6
zephead
macrumors 68000

I've been using InsomniaX with my MacBook for a few months, and it's worked perfectly for me.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:44 PM   #7
Chris F
macrumors regular

You dont need either application to accomplish what you want. Just create a custom power saving profile for when you are plugged in that never puts the machine to sleep and turns off the display after some amount of time. Be sure to leave 'power down hard disks while not in use' enabled so they will be spun down when your torrent completes.
Chris F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 09:05 PM   #8
zephead
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
You dont need either application to accomplish what you want. Just create a custom power saving profile for when you are plugged in that never puts the machine to sleep and turns off the display after some amount of time. Be sure to leave 'power down hard disks while not in use' enabled so they will be spun down when your torrent completes.
Ehh, there's no System Preference to leave the MBP (or any Apple portable, for that matter) on while the lid is closed. The only other way I know of to leave it awake with the lid closed (besides the aforementioned apps) is possibly some Terminal command.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 09:34 PM   #9
vicious7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephead View Post
Ehh, there's no System Preference to leave the MBP (or any Apple portable, for that matter) on while the lid is closed. The only other way I know of to leave it awake with the lid closed (besides the aforementioned apps) is possibly some Terminal command.
Couldn't you just leave the lid open?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro