Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I really want to use my MBP to download torrents. Big ass torrents at that.

So, I tried InsomniaX once where it puts the display to sleep but keeps the HD on and a secondary display is on.

Is this really safe/endorsed by Apple though?

Cheesecake

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
I've been using Caffeine to keep my screen up, even during normal use. I only turn it off if I know i'm going to step away from the computer and not need it to do anything special.

Don't know anything about InsomniaX, sorry.

matt1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
But is it SAFE?

Cause, how else can one successfully download torrents on his MBP when he's not around it too much? I don't want to hurt the display or HD or battery but I wanna download torrents like I do on my desktop...which insinuates leaving it all night long.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
But is it SAFE?

Cause, how else can one successfully download torrents on his MBP when he's not around it too much? I don't want to hurt the display or HD or battery but I wanna download torrents like I do on my desktop...which insinuates leaving it all night long.

In the "System Preferences" pane you'll find a section called "Energy Saver". In there you can establish various settings, including keeping the computer "on" at all times, but putting the display to sleep when it is inactive.

Why use the applications you list? Mac OS already gives you the tools you need.

By the way, this isn't the best way to solicit help in what is otherwise a well-intentioned discussion forum. Asking for advice on how to go about pirating in the most effective manner will not elicit as my responses as you might hope. Whether or not that's your motive, in the future you might benefit from omitting all the specifics.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah they're safe. Of course, running your machine 24/7 will inevitably reduce its workable lifespan but not necessarily by much. If you're downloading torrents then your machine may get quite hot with all the hard drive activity, so make sure it's in a well ventilated area.

Having said all that, I personally use iTunes to keep my machine running when necessary.

By the way, this isn't the best way to solicit help in what is otherwise a well-intentioned discussion forum. Asking for advice on how to go about pirating in the most effective manner will not elicit as my responses as you might hope. Whether or not that's your motive, in the future you might benefit from omitting all the specifics.

Let's just assume they're legal torrents. :)

Chris F

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
You dont need either application to accomplish what you want. Just create a custom power saving profile for when you are plugged in that never puts the machine to sleep and turns off the display after some amount of time. Be sure to leave 'power down hard disks while not in use' enabled so they will be spun down when your torrent completes.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
You dont need either application to accomplish what you want. Just create a custom power saving profile for when you are plugged in that never puts the machine to sleep and turns off the display after some amount of time. Be sure to leave 'power down hard disks while not in use' enabled so they will be spun down when your torrent completes.
Ehh, there's no System Preference to leave the MBP (or any Apple portable, for that matter) on while the lid is closed. The only other way I know of to leave it awake with the lid closed (besides the aforementioned apps) is possibly some Terminal command.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
Ehh, there's no System Preference to leave the MBP (or any Apple portable, for that matter) on while the lid is closed. The only other way I know of to leave it awake with the lid closed (besides the aforementioned apps) is possibly some Terminal command.

Couldn't you just leave the lid open? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.