Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmoseley07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Alright, so I'm up to my 5 computers when it comes to authorization of iTunes. The only problem is that I forgot to deauthorize a few and now I can't. That really wasn't a problem until randomly iTunes decided the MacBook I have right now isn't one of those 5. So the question is.. how do or better yet.. can I deauthorize computers that I no longer have access too.. like a computer thats dead for example?

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Hmm I also have this problem (sorry to minijack, but it's an answer someone could answer in 8 words, and it's related to this thread and could possibly help you) Wasn't there a "Deauthorize All" opt.? I can't find it, and I've used it before.

bmoseley07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I just found this little tidbit in the iTunes help files:

Make sure you deauthorize your computer before you upgrade your RAM, hard disk or other system components, or reinstall Windows.

I'm going to assume the same holds true for Macs, because I just replaced the logic board on here and kinda wish I had known about that nice little warning before hand.

bmoseley07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Okay, another update. I found the solution. I can't believe I just posted this when the answer was in the help. Although thanks to WillJS, I was able to know what I needed to do.

The Help file says that you can deauthorize all your computers by going to the iTunes store and then your account and selecting deauthorize all.

Warning, though, you can only do this once per year. Not that anybody really should need to do it more than one a year, but just something to keep in mind.

The Reg

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2005
Atlanta, GA
About a year ago, I had an issue where iTunes said I had 3 authorized computers when in fact I only had two. I simply e-mailed Apple and they deleted all accounts and told me to reauthorize the computers that I wished to use with iTunes. There was no mention of a "one use per year" in the replied e-mail. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.