Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
hello... i need some help... i have a tibook, and when i used my old mouse (b&w puck mouse) in the preferences i was able to turn the trackpad off. At Christmas i got an apple pro mouse and now the trackpad always works...when i click that option in preferences to turn it off nothing happens... anyone know why this is happening?

it is a very annoying thing, and id love to have an idea how to remedy it, thank you very much.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
No suggestions...

...just commizeration.

I've noticed that when I first check the "turn trackpad off when mouse is present" box, it works and I don't have to worry about the trackpad. Eventually, however, the trackpad comes back from the grave like Jason. My best solution is to turn off the "tap trackpad to click" option (which seems to stay off) so that I don't accidentally move my insertion point, deselect something, etc., when I don't expect the track pad to do anything. If you're in love with "tap to click", I don't know what to tell you.

FYI, I have a 500MHz Rev. A TiBook and use either a wired Kensington Studio Mouse (that "scroll pad" stinks!) or a Wacom passive wireless mouse on a Wacom tablet, so I don't think it's the mouse that's the source of the problem. More likely, I think it's a setting that doesn't survive sleep-wake-sleep-wake for too many cycles. (But that's a guess.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.