Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I'm fairly new to the Power Mac world and have noticed these titles for G4 floating around. What is the difference between them? Different standard hardware? Is one an update of another or are they names for different generations of G4s?

Thanks

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: What is the difference between Sawtooth, Quicksilver 1 & 2

Originally posted by onlydroops
I'm fairly new to the Power Mac world and have noticed these titles for G4 floating around. What is the difference between them? Different standard hardware? Is one an update of another or are they names for different generations of G4s?

Thanks
You might try the Apple History web site, and the Apple Museum website. Read and be wise.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Thank you, that helps enormously.

I didn't see Sawtooth anywhere, though. Is that the same as MDD maybe?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
MDD are the current (pre-G5) powermacs. Sawtooths are just a form of powermacs that came earlier. i belive at 400mhz. The names just help deferentiate the different generations of g4 powermacs, nothing more.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Perfect, thank you.

I keep hearing that Apple is selling off the old versions of the G4 mobos because they are trying to get rid of them to make room for all the G5s.

I'm just wondering if I buy a G4 from Apple if it will be the latest and greatest G4...

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
The current g4's on apples site are the second fastest g4's ever shipped and are the MDD (Mirrored Double Door, named after the reflective optical drive doors), the fastest was the dual 1.42 MDD but it stopped production when the g5 was released. So yes the powermac would be the latest and greatest (minus the g5 :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.