Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Just signed up for .mac, got everything synced up (address book, bookmarks, iCal, etc.) However, when I go into my homepage in .mac, I can see all of these categories, including the basic calendar. However, I can't find where my iCal calendar uploaded to? Shouldn't I be able to access that from within .mac?

I know when I published the calendar, it gives me a specific URL...can't I access that calendar in any way from within my .mac account? Thanks for the help!

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Calendar in .Mac

I can't see mine either now that you mention it.

I thought that while I have .Mac set up to sync everything, that I'd be able to see it. However, on the .Mac page, it says this:

<SNIP>
Choose the calendar you want to share and select Publish from the Calendar menu. Or use iCal to group related calendars, then publish them as one. You can select one of your published calendars to appear on the home page of any .Mac group you own. Friends and family can view your published calendars, too. Just send them the calendar URL and they'll be able to see the most up-to-date version of your calendar in day, week, or month view from any computer with an Internet connection.
</SNIP>

Now I don't ever remember doing step 1 (select Publish from the Calendar menu).

So maybe getting your calendar up to .Mac is not just a question of setting up the sync options?

Any more ideas anyone?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
This is something that has irked me about .mac for awhile. The url that you get to share calendars is only valid for iCal, you can't see your own calendar while at .mac.

I hope that they make them viewable/editable in the future, rather than relying on Group Calendars to do so.

The only way to do it now is to make a new Group, which you are the (only) member. Then, publish your calendar to that group. You should then be able to view it while at .Mac.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
The only way to do it now is to make a new Group, which you are the (only) member. Then, publish your calendar to that group. You should then be able to view it while at .Mac.
Thanks for the help so far.

So, how do I go about doing this? When I publish the calendar from iCal, do I publish it to a private server, using my own calender group settings? I tried that, but it says it can't connect. I guess I'm looking for a little bit more detail as to how to do it? Thanks for the help again!

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Thanks for the help so far.

So, how do I go about doing this? When I publish the calendar from iCal, do I publish it to a private server, using my own calender group settings? I tried that, but it says it can't connect. I guess I'm looking for a little bit more detail as to how to do it? Thanks for the help again!

No problem, I just figured this out myself.
Go into .mac and make a new group (it's one of the options on the left-hand side).

From the group front page, click under the calendar at left (change calendar). In the pulldown menu that's there (the default will say 2007, I think), you should have all of the calendars that you synced from your machine.

You can't make changes from this page, but you can at least view them.

FYI, only the owner of the Group can put their calendars on the front page of the group. I've not yet figured out how to have multiple members share their calendars.

EDIT: when you publish your iCal calendar, it gives you a URL, right?
You can put this into any browser to view it, rather than jumping through these hoops.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
No problem, I just figured this out myself.
Go into .mac and make a new group (it's one of the options on the left-hand side).

From the group front page, click under the calendar at left (change calendar). In the pulldown menu that's there (the default will say 2007, I think), you should have all of the calendars that you synced from your machine.

You can't make changes from this page, but you can at least view them.

FYI, only the owner of the Group can put their calendars on the front page of the group. I've not yet figured out how to have multiple members share their calendars.

EDIT: when you publish your iCal calendar, it gives you a URL, right?
You can put this into any browser to view it, rather than jumping through these hoops.
Wow, perfect. Thanks! That worked just great. Also, I know I can just put the URL in, but I don't want to have to do that everytime. Got the group setup right, along with the calendar...appreciate all the help gaucho :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.