Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone Hacking: Step by Step

This is a topic we've generally avoided as its not an easy process, and even with a step-by-step guide, the process can be tedious... but for those who haven't yet gotten around to hacking your iPhone (to install applications, ssh, etc..), Macworld provides a step-by-step guide which attempts to give instructions to do so.

The instructions are not perfect, as there are a few steps which don't seem to work as-is. For example, in my experience, the destination locations when using "putfile" frequently had to include the filename rather than just the pathname to properly copy. (example: /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key and not just /etc/dropbear)

Good Luck... but remember to proceed at your own risk.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 01:05 AM   #2
mingisback
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mingisback
5 Step process for putting 3rd party apps on your iPhone

I've found a much easier walkthrough than this and it's worked flawless for me.

I now have MobileTerminal, NES, Lights Out, and Installer.app running on my iPhone with SSH installed and SFTP so I can make updates through Transmit.

The walkthrough was written well and worked as described.

Check it out:
http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/1...ne-from-a-mac/

Last edited by mingisback; Aug 18, 2007 at 01:09 AM. Reason: typeo
mingisback is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 01:33 AM   #3
jat543
macrumors newbie

hacktheiphone.com is a great choice too, the author posts all the updates from the iphone dev team and also writes all his own tutorials for both the windows and mac versions of every hack/add on so far
jat543 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Bunsen
macrumors member

I just went through the whole hacking process last night using all these guides and more, since each one had a small typo or glossed over a step. The Macworld walkthrough here was a little vague, but the download was very helpful: including most of the tools needed. I had been having trouble building iPHUC from the other sites. I now have Lights Out, Terminal, Installer, and VRecorder on my phone. Yay!

Last edited by Bunsen; Aug 19, 2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Finally, no longer a Newbie!
Bunsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 01:37 AM   #5
EvilDoc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to EvilDoc Send a message via Yahoo to EvilDoc
Have there be any details as to what tmobile plans were used for the hack. Im wondering if the were on a sidekick plan? or a Blackberry plan? any ideas?
EvilDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion