Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heroic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Thanks for the link, it is good to see that it is still included in a handful of archives. I think I remember this page from 10 years ago actually, hasn't changed at all. I am worried though that most of the links on the page are dead now.

I am hoping to get the full version of Missions of Reliant hosted somewhere more permanent since the author moved on quite some time ago and cannot be reached at any of his listed contacts. I think this is one of many underrated 680x0 games that didn't sell well enough to secure a place in recorded history.

Rubes

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Author here...thanks for the kind words, glad to see people still have some interest in it.

I'm sure it's still available online in various places, and of course I do have it archived myself. Not sure I can go back and release and unprotected version, but I can probably try to generate registration codes for people who still want one.

macrossVFX

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
Author here...thanks for the kind words, glad to see people still have some interest in it.

I'm sure it's still available online in various places, and of course I do have it archived myself. Not sure I can go back and release and unprotected version, but I can probably try to generate registration codes for people who still want one.

Is there anyways I can purchase or get the registration code from you, oh great Author :) I am sure this is a dead link now, but I've been looking forward to get the FULL game for a long time.

I kept an 8500 powermac just so that I can play with this game, rescue!, and REALMZ.

thanks
CHuck

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
and to think at that time 10/11 years ago I was only playing games like diablo, mechwarrior, warcraft 2, etc.

I do have a soft heart for simple games like this though.

sil3nc3

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
that looks like so much fun, yet i tossed my PPC computer :(
maybe a universal patch :eek:

macrossVFX

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
I used Basilisk II on PC... worked quite well actually.... It also ran rescue! and Mission of Starship Reliant II well.

That would require a rewrite for OS X first; you can't just do a patch. However, there's at least one 68K Mac emulator that runs on Intel Macs, namely Basilisk II.

--Eric

lightning f57

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for starting this thread, I have been searching for this game for a long while now and would also like to have registration codes to run the game in full. hope to hear from the Author, Id like to buy a full copy.

Many thanks

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
Just saw this thread and had to comment on how much the game looks like one of my favorites, Escape Velocity :d

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

What are the odds that you'd both have an account at MacRumors and catch the thread? Cool.

lightning f57

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Im playing the game on an intel PC I think same emulators can be used for intel macs, I hope the author gets in touch I really want to purchase the other missions and archive the game.

I LOVE Missions of the Reliant!

This is very exciting. I loved the demo, and paid to register Missions II all those years ago. Sadly, I no longer have the computer it was installed on. I went to the site recommended and downloaded it again on this Mac. Much to my surprise, it works! It is not perfect, the animation is a little jumpy, and it crashed a couple of times, but the demo version is fully playable on System 9. I think Missions II really is my favorite game of all time. Absolutely nothing else like it.

If Dr. Rubin is out there, I would LOVE to obtain a code to unlock the full version of the game as mentioned. I will gladly and cheerfully pay for it again.....how can we get in touch to do that.......?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Hello Rube,

I love classic games. I've never played yours, but I would love to give it a try.

It looks like you have a strong fan club out there. I can understand you don't want to revisit old code, but perhaps you could consider releasing a universal registration code? Or even release the code, and perhaps a fan might create an updated wrapper to let it be played on modern systems?

Best wishes

Where oh where has Michael Rubin gone??

Is this game similar to Star Control 2 or the Starflight series?

No. It's not similar to anything that I'm aware of, except maybe those old, old unauthorized strategy type games based on "Star Trek" where you command the Enterprise, patrol the quadrant looking for Klingons. The first one of those I ever played was at a sci-fi con back around 1980, on a computer that used a cassette recorder as a "hard drive"!
In Missions, you fight a mysterious powerful alien invader, your ship gets damaged, sometimes you narrowly escape, and have to hide out until you can get various systems back on line again, or limp to a starbase for repair.
The game really wakes up my imagination, and reminds me of when I was a kid, fantasizing about spaceships and such.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
My old TI-99 had a tape cassette drive. We also had one on our C64, which we used in its early years. I'm not too old, but I'm a child from the seventies. :)

Thanks. I'm going to have to try this out now. So more strategy, does it also have any kind of RPG elements? So can the ship be upgraded as an example?

What I loved about SC2 and the SF games, is that they were open ended sci-fi RPGs. I had the ability to explore the galaxy looking for minerals and artifacts, upgrade my ship, and meet new life-forms. With Starflight I had to pick my crew and set their attributes. There was also an overall story to fallow with a goal to save all life in the galaxy from being wiped out by some EVIL force.

Now I'm just showing my age!

My old TI-99 had a tape cassette drive. We also had one on our C64, which we used in its early years. I'm not too old, but I'm a child from the seventies. :)

Thanks. I'm going to have to try this out now. So more strategy, does it also have any kind of RPG elements? So can the ship be upgraded as an example?

What I loved about SC2 and the SF games, is that they were open ended sci-fi RPGs. I had the ability to explore the galaxy looking for minerals and artifacts, upgrade my ship, and meet new life-forms. With Starflight I had to pick my crew and set their attributes. There was also an overall story to fallow with a goal to save all life in the galaxy from being wiped out by some EVIL force.

Well, Missions II is probably more "tactics" than "strategy", to be more precise.......I loved Star Control also. Yes, in Missions II (Demo and full version) there were upgrades for the ship. No real role-playing elements, I would say. I've never played Starflight, but now I'm interested in checking it out...

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Cool. I download a few things, but I don't have OS 7 anymore. I still have my OS 8 discs, so I'm going to have to tinker with these emulators. Blah, I miss my G5...

Starflight 1 and 2 were the originals, SC2 borrowed heavily from their design, but it really hit the mark and improved on the gameplay. It's still one of my favorites to this day. I had a great time with these games when I was younger and I really miss that whole experience. The closest game I found now days was Mass Effect, but it had some clear differences, which actually gave it less scope than these earlier games.

Anyways, I've been looking for a good space game for my Touch *hint to the developer*, something like this or an epic sci-fi RPG. Most of the games I've tried have been a miss, or somewhat there, but the controls were awkward.

coolate

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
One of my favorites!

I would love a copy of the full version! I used to play it all the time!! Please contact me with a code! What projects have you been working on sence then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.