Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Aug 18, 2007, 03:18 PM   #1
brianus
macrumors 6502

Shut off/on firewire port programmatically

Is there a way to turn 'off' and 'on' a particular Firewire port programmatically (API, command line tool, even low level device commands, anything) that would have the same effect as physically disconnecting or reconnecting a device on that port?

The thing is that I have this external iSight camera which works, but it always randomly shuts down after a period of use (usually several hours, but it's never the same amount of time). I can detect when this happens because it generates errors I can trap, but I have no way to correct the problem unless I'm sitting there and can unplug and replug the camera. If I could do something that would have the same effect as that in software, that would satisfy me.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming