Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eiphren@gmail.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
My PowerBook G4 (Alum) died. I've had it for 4 years, taken it with me to Alaska and all over the lower 48, and have had nothing but happy experiences. I knew she was gonna go, but I was hoping she'd hold on until I could afford a MacBook. Alas, no. The problem appears to be the ability of the logic board to communicate with the hard drive. I can hear the HD spin, but even with Disk Warrior, I cannot locate it. The Mac Geniuses at my local Apple store confirmed this and gave me a shoulder to cry on. I've run Disk Warrior, Disk Utility, and tried finding it using the target disk mode - no luck.

The problem is that I've got 4 years of teaching materials, 6000 songs, and irreplaceable pictures on the HD, so I can't bring myself to just trash it. It's true that you only fail to back up you stuff once. This is my once. I've heard that with PC hard drives, you can just drop the old HD into a USB HD box and use it as an external HD. I can't afford professional data retrevial, and I want to give this option a try if it'll work with a Mac HD. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
That approach might work if the PB's ATA bus is damaged, but if it's a HD problem it may not. If the info on the disk is really valuable, it's definitely worth a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.