Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 19, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
evilgreg
macrumors regular

What is the best ebook reader?

I am having a hard time finding a good ebook reader for my macbook when I am on the road. I have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions, which is a free ebook reader, but it doesn't recognize ANY file formats (not even .txt for some reason).

Any good suggestions?
evilgreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 06:05 PM   #2
question fear
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to question fear
Ereader has a mac os e-reader and it is very good. Keep in mind you'll have to pay to get books in their format. I am not sure if mobipocket offers one too, but i can vouch that the e-reader is very comfortable.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 01:36 PM   #3
evilgreg
macrumors regular

Isn't there one that can read simple files like .txt?
evilgreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 02:01 PM   #4
question fear
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to question fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgreg View Post
Isn't there one that can read simple files like .txt?
I am not sure. You could try over at mobileread.com, someone there may be more familiar with laptop ebook reading. I've only done it once or twice, I usually used my Treo when I had ebooks to read. Ereader might support .txt, you'd have to check their site. Bear in mind ebooks have had a steep march towards acceptance and so many commercial readers are designed around locking in customers. You may be stuck with Pages or Word for plain files.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 02:11 PM   #5
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by question fear View Post
Ereader has a mac os e-reader and it is very good. Keep in mind you'll have to pay to get books in their format. I am not sure if mobipocket offers one too, but i can vouch that the e-reader is very comfortable.
There are plenty of free .pdb books that ereader can read just fine, but only ereader can read the DRM'ed .pdb files that you buy from them. Check out Project Gutenberg for a very extensive list of books in .pdb format (and many others as well).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store