Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Follow these instructions to install installer.app and start enjoying all of the wonderful native apps!

1. Go here http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/ and download the AppTapp Installer

2. Go to iTunes, uncheck the "sync when iPhone is connected" button and completely close iTunes.

3. Open the .dmg, hit the continue button and let it do its magic! While installing installer.app it forces your phone into recovery mode and the screen with "please connect to itunes" will appear. THIS IS NORMAL, do not open and connect to iTunes yet!!!!, restart your phone and you will now have a new app on your phone.

4. You can now go back into iTunes and recheck the "sync when iPhone is connected" button.

Now you will be able to install applications from the Installer. This is extremely simple. Just open the Installer application and select the software you want to install.

Installing Applications

When you start Installer you will see only a handful of applications. To access all third party software available, do the following:

- Launch installer on your iPhone. It will connect to the internet and register the available packages.

- Click on Community Resources package inside the Install tab.

- You will see the detail. Click the Install button.

- After installing, you will see the third party apps currently available for iPhone.

- Click on any of them, hit the install button and enjoy.

*Note* After installing the Installer.app, simply install the update, and then install the Mobile Finder.app. so that you can access all of your apps after the home screen is filled. I also suggest SummerBoard, as it is a very nice app that allows your springboard to scroll to view all your apps.

*Note* If wanting to install the NES Emulator and get additional games, you must first install OpenSSH and BSD Subsystem. *Thanks to The General for the following info

- If you have Installer.app installed, run it and install "Community Resources"

- Then once you have that installed, more programs will show up that you can install. Scroll down to OpenSSH and install that. Then install BSD Subsystem.

- Restart your phone and connect it to a WiFi router. Go to Settings -> Wifi -> And hit the little blue "(>)" next to the network you're connected to. Write down your IP address listed there.

- Download Cyberduck (http://cyberduck.ch/) if you're on a Mac, or Filezilla if you're on Windows.

- In Cyberduck, hit "Open Connection" and select the "SFTP" protocol. Type your IP address into the address bar, then for the user name and password it's most likely root and dottie, respectively. Port should say 22. Hit connect.

- If all goes well, you should be browsing your iPhone's files in no time. Just go to /var/root/Media and create a directory called ROMs, and one inside that called NES. Put your ROMs in that NES folder.

For instance...

/var/root/Media/ROMs/NES/Super\ Mario\ 3.nes

Extremly smooth and easy.

racemize

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
how many apps are supported by the installer?

I was going to check out the apper program (that makes web pages into apps that you can put on the homescreen); is that supported? For that matter has anyone tried it? Does it just redirect to Safari or does it work like the other native apps? I should probably give this its own topic.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I don't doubt it's easy. But it's still a hack. Which I won't do to my iPhone. I didn't even mind the "complicated" instructions that were out there when they first got going. I'll do it once it's actually not a hack. Which may very well be never.

xmetal

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
with all of these hacks, you can use the restore features in iTunes to bring your phone back to normal no matter what you do to it. A quick resync and you'd be back to normal. Seems pretty safe to mess with from what I can see.

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Please! OP! Add that it is critical that you install 'Launcher' once you have access to the Installer.app on your phone. If you don't, you will eventually lose the Installer icon from the home screen. In order to fix this, you'll need to restore and start over. After installing the Installer.app, simply install the update, and then install the Launcher app. Then when the home screen is filled, you can access any other apps you have installed through the Launcher.

nateinva

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Getting stuck with this...

Hi all,

I've lurked for years but this how-to made me register finally. =)

I'm getting stuck when running 'get_installer.sh'. See terminal output below:

iMac:~ nharbin$ /Users/nharbin/Desktop/get_installer.sh
What firmware is your iPhone running?
1) 1.0
2) 1.0.1
Enter 1 or 2: 2
Using firmware 1.0.1

Fetching restore zip file from Apple...

** Resuming transfer from byte position 95627958
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 91.1M 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
curl: (33) HTTP server doesn't seem to support byte ranges. Cannot resume.
Archive: iPhone1,1_1.0.1_1C25_Restore.ipsw.zip
inflating: 009-7662-6.dmg
inflating: kernelcache.release.s5l8900xrb
/Users/nharbin/Desktop/get_installer.sh: line 40: ./bootstrapper: No such file or directory

I am stumped. Has anyone else rec'd this error that could help me?

Thanks!

Nathan

nateinva

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Well I guess it just took me posting my previous message.

Shortly after I posted I tried again and it ran fine (no changes whatsoever)...

I've installed without a hitch, now just loading things up.

FYI, for some reason my errors seemed to be based off of an incomplete download from Apple. It resumed when I tried again and all steps went smoothly from there...

Nathan

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've done this and got the NES app on my phone...but I can't figure out how to get the ROMs on there.

I installed both the NES app and the SSH app from the Installer app thingy. Then I tried to follow the directions here, but when I type in my iPhone's IP (after Jailbreaking using iFuntastic), it just says: "ssh: root: No address associated with nodename"

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have any easier instructions? Thanks.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
In the text edit application on the iphone, i save the file but where does it go.After I save text edit closes, i am not sure if its crashing or that is the way it is supposed to be. any help would be much appreciated.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
In order to fix this, you'll need to restore and start over..

Or just edit your /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/Displayorder.plist :rolleyes:

Hacking is so not-a-big-deal it's not even funny. I use the Installer.app so that I don't have to manually update my apps when new versions come out. It's a very nice package management system. The repository has almost all the apps out there, minus the really crappy ones. :D

^^ what he said, this is an amazing application but whats a nes app without any games to play? also where is the voice recorder?

Installer.app can install OpenSSH and the BSD Subsystem, which installs SFTP ... so you can access the files on the phone through an SFTP client like Cyberduck. The voice recorder is now in the repository, I just installed it.

xmetal

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Installer.app can install OpenSSH and the BSD Subsystem, which installs SFTP ... so you can access the files on the phone through an SFTP client like Cyberduck. The voice recorder is now in the repository, I just installed it.

General, you say Installer.app "can" install SSH. Do you mean it actually "does", or that there is some optional step involved? I don't see a mention of it in the OP notes, and obviously it would be great if it did it all at once.

Ideally, I want to run installer.app and get SSH/SFTP in one step.

Thanks for the clarification.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
General, you say Installer.app "can" install SSH. Do you mean it actually "does", or that there is some optional step involved? I don't see a mention of it in the OP notes, and obviously it would be great if it did it all at once.

Ideally, I want to run installer.app and get SSH/SFTP in one step.

Thanks for the clarification.

You have to run Installer.app on your iPhone, and under the "install" tab, install "Community Sources" and once you do that, there will be a lot more programs there for you to install. OpenSSH and BSD Subsystem are in the System section.

This is actually the best way to install SSH and SFTP right now. The other tutorials and binaries are VERY VERY slow. It takes a good 2 minutes from the time you type ssh root@whatever to get to the part where you can type in your password and connect. With OpenSSH installed by Installer.app, it's virtually instant.

Also, I don't know what happened with this ... but I used to not be able to use WiFi on our router at work. It had trouble resolving DNS, even manually putting it a DNS server didn't fix it. I think the router just hates Macs because I had trouble getting my MacBook Pro to work on it ... well anyway, ever since I installed BSD Subsystem, my iPhone has been able to connect to the internet through this router without a hitch.

Oh yeah, OpenSSH installs an SSH client too. So once you install that, you'll be able to SSH out of your iPhone using MobileTerm-VT100, or just MobileTerminal, but I think it needs VT100 emulation ... doesn't matter, both versions of Terminal are in the repository.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
OK so i did everything up to installing mobile installer...what do i do next? I think someone should write a guide to this because although it is easy, putting games on the NES isnt (well it doesnt seem that way, maybe im just computer illiterate)

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
OK so i did everything up to installing mobile installer...what do i do next? I think someone should write a guide to this because although it is easy, putting games on the NES isnt (well it doesnt seem that way, maybe im just computer illiterate)

I agree, this needs to be done, however I do not know enough about SSH and SFTP and the NES.app to write a guide.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
If you have Installer.app installed, run it and install "Community Resources"

Then once you have that installed, more programs will show up that you can install. Scroll down to OpenSSH and install that. Then install BSD Subsystem.

Restart your phone and connect it to a WiFi router. Go to Settings -> Wifi -> And hit the little blue "(>)" next to the network you're connected to. Write down your IP address listed there.

Download Cyberduck if you're on a Mac, or Filezilla if you're on Windows.

In Cyberduck, hit "Open Connection" and select the "SFTP" protocol. Type your IP address into the address bar, then for the user name and password it's most likely root and dottie, respectively. Port should say 22. Hit connect.

If all goes well, you should be browsing your iPhone's files in no time. Just go to /var/root/Media and create a directory called ROMs, and one inside that called NES. Put your ROMs in that NES folder.

For instance...

/var/root/Media/ROMs/NES/Super\ Mario\ 3.nes

xmetal

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
excellent info General, thanks a bunch for that.

One more question. Is it true that if you use installer.app, you are jailbreaking the iPhone, and therefore CANNOT sync to iTunes anymore? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere (maybe it was in the iFuntastic app).

If you lose the ability to sync, can you do something to get that back, without losing your hacks?

Thanks again!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
excellent info General, thanks a bunch for that.

One more question. Is it true that if you use installer.app, you are jailbreaking the iPhone, and therefore CANNOT sync to iTunes anymore? I seem to recall seeing that somewhere (maybe it was in the iFuntastic app).

If you lose the ability to sync, can you do something to get that back, without losing your hacks?

Thanks again!

The only way you should jailbreak right now is this method:

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/How_to_Escape_Jail

Otherwise it may cause problems with syncing to iTunes. I can sync with iTunes just fine. It looks like the above script jailbreaks using this method, then most likely returns to jail.

You will be okay, don't worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.