Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I wanna know. What amount of RAM works for you and what do you do on your Mac Pro system.

I'll start:

I have 5GB. I upgrade from 3GB which I upgraded from 2x512MB (1GB Factory RAM).

3GB was working okay for a while until I really got into using Aperture and Photoshop a lot. I started to notice a lot of disk activity and my system became sluggish and I was embarrassed to show people my powerful Mac Pro when it was acting like that. I upgraded from 3GB recently to 5GB from OWC (otherworldcomputing.com) and I can't be happier. My machine is always running fast now and even when I'm working on huge HDR panoramas. Since I've had 5GB of RAM, I get only about 100 pageouts per day. Before the 2 extra gigs, I was getting thousands pageouts and really crappy performance until I restarted.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I have a measly 2 gigs... which is fine until I start doing anything of purpose in PS, when it slows down horrendously. Aperture and PS is out of the the question.

Now I come to a question: iPhone, IRA, RAM, or 32" TV/monitor?

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I currently have 3GB, however another 2GB will be landing on my doorstep today. I've found with the usage I'm putting the system under when running Aperture + others apps page outs are tremendous. Hopefully the extra 2GB will top out the issue.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I have 4GB of RAM in the Mac Pro. It runs OS X Server so needs to look after everyone else who's logged in as well as me. Processor power isn't an issue, there's just heaps on the Mac Pro, but at 2GB of RAM I was getting paging that was driving me nuts.

It's all Apple RAM. I've never been able to observe a single error from any of the 8 sticks and the system is incredibly stable. Only gets restarted for updates, is on 24x7.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I currently have 3GB, however another 2GB will be landing on my doorstep today.

Nice, you're gonna love the 5GB! I love how silent and quick my computer is now. Even launching apps well into the day doesn't slow down. I could be using my computer for hours and it feels as if I just turned it on. I love that feeling.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I have 4GB of RAM in the Mac Pro. It runs OS X Server so needs to look after everyone else who's logged in as well as me. Processor power isn't an issue, there's just heaps on the Mac Pro, but at 2GB of RAM I was getting paging that was driving me nuts.

It's all Apple RAM. I've never been able to observe a single error from any of the 8 sticks and the system is incredibly stable.

You know, you don't really NEED Apple RAM. Apple's RAM is just as good as other RAM as long as you make sure it matches Apple's specs and includes the giant heat syncs. Apple RAM is WICKED expensive!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I didn't say I needed Apple RAM, but it was a conscious choice.

I can understand wanting everything Apple... such as Display, Keyboard, Mouse, Computer and Airport but, for something like RAM where you don't have to look at it... pretty much any respectable Apple RAM Reseller will do the trick... just gotta make sure it's got Apple's heat-syncs on them. That's all I meant... Apple RAM is just way to expensive for something that is going to work the same anyway and you don't have to look at it.

paulinbognor

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
West Sussex, UK
I'm currently running 10GBs.

When I got the machine I quickly upgraded to 4GBs then to 6 a month or so after that. With my heavy usage of running lots of the heavy hitting apps at the same time I soon realised that to accomodate my usage that I needed more so I bit the bullet and got 2x 2GB modules to take me to 10Gbs (so now all my slots are full :()

it runs well now with a much better page ins/outs ratio and far less waiting around, I quite often still manage to get it to less than 500MBs of RAM remaining though so someday I may well add some more but for the forseeable future 10 seems about spot on.

I got my RAM from Crucial, I've bought 2x 1GBs from them and 2x 2GBs

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
For those who bought third party RAM recently, can you tell us the amount of RAM purchased, what configuration (1x1GB, etc.), purchased from whom, and how much you paid.

Thanks

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Sean NOW thats some damn impressive ins/outs even with 10GBs I never have 0! :(

I have found that running disk utility - repair permissions free's up inactive ram as seen in activity monitor. after this, you will have more available so there will be less page outs.

dont know why it does this.. anyone have a clue?? :confused::confused:

aussie_geek

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
Sean NOW thats some damn impressive ins/outs even with 10GBs I never have 0! :(

The life of low-res Web Dev. My files are so small I never really need any disk. I am sure if I had some video editing or other large-file stuff going on, I wouldn't be able to push it as far.

jabrowntx

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I have 6GB.

My Mac Pro has only been up 1 day, 8 hours (got back from vacation late Saturday evening) and have had 726,525 page ins and 2934 page outs.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
2GB, tho with Aperture it really starts to page-out. I've moved the library to a RAID 0 recently (with extensive backups) which has helped with performance a lot, however a RAM upgrade is the next on the cards.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I have found that running disk utility - repair permissions free's up inactive ram as seen in activity monitor. after this, you will have more available so there will be less page outs.

dont know why it does this.. anyone have a clue?? :confused::confused:

aussie_geek

Freeing up inactive RAM is actually a bad idea. Inactive RAM is things like disk caches and the like. When calculating your free available RAM you should add the inactive RAM to the free RAM to get the total available RAM for allocation.

Any inactive RAM can be used by any application wanting RAM. However if an app goes for a disk read and this info is currently held in the inactive RAM then it will be read from there.

Inactive RAM is actually a good thing.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Have 5GB In The Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 6GB In The Quad G5, 2GB In 1.25GHz PBG4

I got my MP with 5GB, but the sticks were installed in the wrong way hampering maximum performance. My 512 sticks had been left in the back of Riser A instead of moved to the front so that the two pair of 1GB sticks could gain 256bit addressing by both being in the back of each riser.

If I were to add 4GB more without losing any of what I have, I would want to move the pair of 1GB sticks to the front of the Bottom Riser B and add the two 2GB sticks to the rear of the Upper Riser A.

Adding 4 more - really 3 more - I would lose the 512 sticks, move a pair of 1GB sticks from the rear of the lower riser B to the front of upper riser A and add the two 2GB sticks to the rear of lower riser B.

Here's the Mac Pro Memory Configuration Chart that shows everyone the correct way to put all combinations of sizes of sticks together for maximum performance in case you put yours in the wrong way too:

Attachments

• MemConfigSmall.jpg
    MemConfigSmall.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,011
  • ram5GB.png
    ram5GB.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 3,246
  • ram9GB.png
    ram9GB.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 3,236
  • 12GBmpRAM.png
    12GBmpRAM.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 3,227
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.