Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:22 AM   #1
jackc
macrumors 65816

can I combine jpeg files?

Does anyone know of a way to combine several jpeg files into one? I was going to use pdf, but the file size is too big.

Also, a PC shouldn't have any problems opening a jpeg (.jpg) file, right?
jackc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:54 AM   #2
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Just paste them together in an image editor like photoshop. If you don't have photoshop, you could use PowerPoint or even TextEdit. Then take a screenshot of the image (shift-command-ctrl-4, then select the area you want). Then open Preview and the screenshot will automatically open there, then you can save as a .jpg. You could then open in iPhoto if you wanted to resize the image.

No, PCs will have no problems with .jpg format.

Another option would be to use iPhoto to make a QuickTime movie out of the pictures. Just make a slide show, then export. You're given three different file size options, so you can minimize the file size. PC users can view the slide show, but they might have to download quicktime from quicktime.com.

Last edited by wordmunger; Aug 21, 2007 at 10:01 AM.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:34 AM   #3
jackc
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmunger View Post
Just paste them together in an image editor like photoshop. If you don't have photoshop, you could use PowerPoint or even TextEdit. Then take a screenshot of the image (shift-command-ctrl-4, then select the area you want). Then open Preview and the screenshot will automatically open there, then you can save as a .jpg. You could then open in iPhoto if you wanted to resize the image.
Thanks, I was able to paste them into TextEdit. But I guess you can't scroll down if taking a screenshot. I could save it as a .rtfd, is there any danger of a PC having a problem with that? Also, if I saved as a pdf through TextEdit the size is significantly smaller and the quality is still good enough, so that might work too.
jackc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:27 PM   #4
wordmunger
macrumors 603

I'm not sure .rtfd is readable by a PC. .rtf is, but maybe not .rtfd.

Such crude tools.... you could print to PDF, then open in preview, zoom out so everything is on the screen, take another screenshot, open in preview again, and save as .jpg.

You could also download seashore:

http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

And I think that will do what you need.
wordmunger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:07 AM   #5
philipp13
macrumors newbie

Combine jpegs with iCombiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackc View Post
Does anyone know of a way to combine several jpeg files into one? I was going to use pdf, but the file size is too big.

Also, a PC shouldn't have any problems opening a jpeg (.jpg) file, right?
Have you tried iCombiner to merge your jpegs? It has a very efficient drag and drop interface that's save me tons of time.
philipp13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 03:07 AM   #6
Flowero4ka
macrumors regular

I think photoshop is the best friend in this case! Create a new file (CRTL+N) - the size you need, then paste your jpg (CTRL+V) and transform it (CTRL+T) if you need. CTRL+SHIFT+E - merge the picture.
Flowero4ka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:10 AM   #7
tbdavis
macrumors newbie

Use Preview

You can actually use Preview to do that.

Open both images in separate Preview windows. Go ahead and save one of them as the name of the combined file you want to use (you definitely don't want to overwrite either part until you have the combined image you want).

In the renamed picture window, Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy, then Tools/Adjust Size... and make the image large enough to hold both parts. Don't worry if it's too big, you can crop it later. When it's big enough the image will be stretched, possibly weirdly if you didn't scale proportionately, but it doesn't matter because you're going to overwrite that image anyway.

Edit/Paste and with your mouse, drag this image to where you will want it on the final image. When you have it placed where you want, Click somewhere outside of that part on the now stretched part of the image, which will lock the pasted part where you have placed it.

Go to the window of the other part you will be adding, and Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy it, then click on the image you will be pasting to, and Edit/Paste, move this part where you want it, and again click on some part of the image outside of what you've just pasted and moved to lock that in place. If you don't do the clicking thing, the paste will not take.

If you need to trim parts of the image, Edit/Select All to select the whole image and move the dotted lines with your mouse and the little circle handles until everything you want is in the lines and everything you don't want is outside. Now Tools/Crop. You may need to redo these steps as sometimes a small bit you didn't want will be included.

If you make a mistake, you can Edit/Undo, so don't worry about making mistakes.

When you're satisfied, just File/Save, and voila, you've joined two images into one.
tbdavis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 01:42 AM   #8
Rizvi1
macrumors 6502a

Thank you, had to do something like this because of a number of picture posting limit in a thread. By combining pics, I was able to save on my amount
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:28 PM   #9
norz
macrumors newbie

Use GraphicConverter

Combining multiple jpg into one can be easily done with GraphicConverter:
1) Select 'File -> Convert & Modify'
2) Use the 'Concat...' function
norz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:06 PM   #10
NIER101
macrumors newbie

Use your word processor

COME ON TECKIES...stop making this so difficult. open a new word document...insert picture ...page break(ctrl enter) insert picture 2 and so on and so on...save it and you have it all in one file to send or print
NIER101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:14 PM   #11
RankHigh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIER101 View Post
COME ON TECKIES...stop making this so difficult. open a new word document...insert picture ...page break(ctrl enter) insert picture 2 and so on and so on...save it and you have it all in one file to send or print
Nier 101, this works! Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:56 PM   #12
phl0w
macrumors newbie

Easiest way: Select the jpegs you want to merge and drag/open them with preview. Select all of them with cmd+A and choose file>print selected images. Under print you just choose the correct orientation and save the lot as one .pdf. Works always.

Quote:
Why not use photoshop CS to do that? It can combine jpeg files with high quality.
MAYBE, only maybe some of us don't wanna fork out 1000$ to merge some .jpegs into on .pdf when there's a built-in solution in OS X.
phl0w is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:27 AM   #13
beccab107
macrumors newbie

Thanks, Nier 101. This was the simple, cost nothing solution I was looking for. Worked perfectly.
beccab107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:27 AM   #14
kmetz
macrumors newbie

Right clicking option!!

Combining is easy.. just open the jpg or jpeg file/picture... right click within the picture and select "convert to Adobe PDF". Once you convert all your jpg's to PDF you can then use the "combine files" option that pdf offers...
kmetz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:00 PM   #15
macadamia19
macrumors newbie

I was googling around to figure out how to do this, and phl0w's solution was super-easy. Thanks!
macadamia19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:55 PM   #16
Xrhythm
macrumors newbie

Easy way to print any type of files to PDF on Mac

Just reading through the suggestions. The way that I've found to make this happen is pretty straight forward.

You have multiple PDFs. Select them all and open them in Preview. They should open as icons down the right side, not as separate windows.

Once open select them all on the right side.

Then go File -> Print Selected Images.

At the bottom Left it should have a little "PDF" bubble with a drop down arrow.

Click on this and choose "Save as PDF" (or another option if you would like)

Then it allows you to save, tag, rename the file which now shows all of the documents as one "printed" PDF file.

That's it!

Last edited by Xrhythm; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Xrhythm is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help