Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:25 AM   #1
boss1
macrumors 6502a

Deep Cleaning Your iPhone?...

What are some safe and effective ways to give the iPhone a good deep cleaning? particularly 3 problem places...

When I bought the phone the occasional wipe, or spray and wipe has been sufficient enough to clean my iPhone.

Now almost 2 months later, I'm starting to notice dirt and crud on the phone in places where a simple wipe will not suffice. Particularly in 3 places:

The ear speaker area: it's slowly, over time, starting to collect dirt since it's recessed.

The dock port: obviously an area that was very likely to build up grim

The entire border between the glass surface and aluminum trim: It's like a trench that seems to be trapping more and more dirt as time goes by.
boss1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Sobe
macrumors 68000

try a q-tip

you can rub the cotton tip between your fingers to get a nice little fine thread to fit into tighter spots.

For others areas, compressed air.
Sobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3
kennyboy3
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe View Post
For others areas, compressed air.
Ooh!

Excellent idea!
kennyboy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:22 PM   #4
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

I've found that these camel-hair blower-brushes used for cameras also work really well in cleaning up dust from the iPhone without harming the exterior.

The blower is not powerful enough to replace compressed air, but the brush end does pick up and sweep away dust and dirt quite well, including from the earpiece and dock connector.
scaredpoet is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:53 PM   #5
gceo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
I've found that these camel-hair blower-brushes used for cameras also work really well in cleaning up dust from the iPhone without harming the exterior.

The blower is not powerful enough to replace compressed air, but the brush end does pick up and sweep away dust and dirt quite well, including from the earpiece and dock connector.
Excellent idea, as compressed air just moves the dust around, and can sometimes force dust under the glass. (although the iPhone seems to be better sealed than my past phones that ALL got dust under the screen.)

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone