Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
I just plugged a Saitek Eclipse into my MacBook to find out that OS X treats it as a Mac-layout rather than the standard IBM layout that it is. For example;

@ and " are the wrong way around
| is in completely the wrong place
\ ±§`~ are all in the wrong places

When I plugged in the keyboard it asked me to press the key to the right of the left shift which I did, then it claimed to have identified the keyboard as ISO European (which it is) yet it applies the non-standard Mac layout. How do I go about fixing this?

Is it too much to ask that OS X can work with a standard keyboard without me having to hack around for hours?

ghostshadow

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Indianapolis
I used this keyboard with my powermac for a while, All I did was go to the sysprefs>> Keyboard and mouse>> then changed the modifier keys to fit need . Didn't have any problems after that.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
It's not the modifier keys that are wrong. OS X is treating the board as an Apple layout board rather than an IBM layout board, so all of the symbols are in the wrong places. It seems to me to be rather poorly written software, that even when I tell it that it is an ISO QWERTY keyboard it completely ignores that & treats it as an Apple keyboard.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
It's not the modifier keys that are wrong. OS X is treating the board as an Apple layout board rather than an IBM layout board, so all of the symbols are in the wrong places. It seems to me to be rather poorly written software, that even when I tell it that it is an ISO QWERTY keyboard it completely ignores that & treats it as an Apple keyboard.

Agreed, it would be very nice to have an easy way of using standard PC layouts instead of being forced to use the Apple layout. It is very annoying when the physical keyboard layout doesn't match the computer's interpretation of it...

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Agreed, it would be very nice to have an easy way of using standard PC layouts instead of being forced to use the Apple layout. It is very annoying when the physical keyboard layout doesn't match the computer's interpretation of it...

Wait, are you saying that there officially ISN'T a way of using a standard keyboard? I thought this was just some glitch that I was experiencing?

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Wait, are you saying that there officially ISN'T a way of using a standard keyboard? I thought this was just some glitch that I was experiencing?

Actually, I have no idea. I bought an Apple keyboard and adapted to it, so I stopped looking. The Apple layout is quite logical once you figure it out.

If there is an easy, official way of handling this issue, I was too dumb to find it when I switched. :)

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
UK
The Apple layout is quite logical once you figure it out.
Not when I've used ISO QWERTY all my life, & continue to do so on my 2x Linux boxes, Windows box & BSD box :\

I still find it hard to believe that you can't use a standard keyboard, what with one of the Mac Mini's selling points being that it works with any standard keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.