Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
Just thought I'd post this because I've read so many negative reports here about Apple service. I just think people don't post when everything went great.

My iBook beganhaving video problems on Sunday. The screen would distort and go out and the laptop would be useless. I took it to the Apple Store here in Tampa on Wednesday. The guy at the Genius Bar was very nice and knowledgeable. He took the laptop and told me I'd get it back from Apple in 5-7 days. This all happened at about 3PM on Wed.

So, I'm woken up this morning by a guy banging on my front door at 10AM. Lo and behold, it is the Airborne Express guy with a package for me from Memphis, TN. I knew full well what he had. I tore open the box, retrieved my iBook and tested it. I tried to get it not to work (not too aggressively, of course), but everything is functioning great. The didn't touch anything on my HDD and fulfilled my warranty magnificently.

So, I got my iBook back only 43 hours after I had sent it in. This is the kind of service I had always heard Apple gave to their products. Anybody else have some great Apple service success stories from when a laptop or desktop had broken down and Apple did a great, fast repair on it?

[edit: Just noticed something else. They replaced the motherboard, the video cable, and my Combodrive - which I hadn't even said was a problem. It was a slight problem, but I just thought some of those problems had to do with CDs I was reading, etc. A superlative job by Apple, checking the whole machine and making sure everything was in good working order.]

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
My experiences are similar, although they went through CompUSA, who has to send laptops to Apple to be repaired.

I had an original iBook with a dead CD drive, and I took it in, CompUSA shipped it to Apple, and Apple replaced the CD drive, and quite a bit of the plastics on the exterior of the computer. They also replaced the handle, which was starting to crack.

I had another, white, 600mhz iBook, that had the same problem with the CD drive, so I took it to CompUSA, they sent it to Apple, and they fixed the CD drive, replaced the rubber feet on the bottom that had fallen off, and cleaned the screen so well, it looked like a new screen (they even put a sheet of foam in to protect it). Before the keyboard marks wouldn't come off the screen, but Apple managed to make them disappear.

The first repair was very prompt, except I had to chase down the airborne express van, because he was just leaving as I pulled up.

The second one took a while longer, because the CompUSA guys had to look at it, and I don't think anybody knew when it came it. I went in and asked, and they said that it wasn't there, and then another guy that works there that I knew said that they had my laptop.

CompUSA may be a bit sketchy, but Apple does a top notch job with repairs and service!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I've loved Apple's Service, I just wish the service centers were closer to reduce the turn around time. Unfortunately, I've had to send in my TiBook More times than I'd like to have, but every time, I send in in on Friday and get it back by Thursday or Friday. Except one time, where they held on to it for two weeks, because they didn't have any replacement screens for it at the time.

TEG

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I had a great experience also (which I posted about at the time). My Quicksilver died, from the moment of making the call to AppleCare it was 48hrs until I had it back @ my desk working. That 48hrs included collection, repair, and return. No bad eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.