Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfreeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I've discovered a pretty major bug that I haven't seen reported elsewhere, strangely. It's in the iPhone's Google Maps app. The bug occurs when I enter an address but spell it slightly wrong or leave out a character. The program then brings up a dialog saying "Did you mean?" and gives a list of possible corrections. These are always good matches. However, when I click on one, it doesn't go to the address I click on! It just goes to the city.

As an example, which I've been able to replicate many times both on my phone and on a phone in the 5th Ave apple store (in front of a surprised employee), if I'm viewing part of New York, NY, and search for "5th ave and 26 ny ny", it searches and then suggests the following list:

"5th Ave & 26th St., Brooklyn, Kings,..."
"W 26th St & 5th Ave, New York, Ne..."
"E 26th St & 5th Ave, New York, New..."

Perfect. Except when I click on one of them, it just zooms out to the city view of New York, NY. It also deletes what I had entered, and replaces it with New York, NY.

This seems like a major bug to me. A real piece of functionality (auto-correcting addresses) completely missing. The weird thing is that I hadn't noticed it (I think) before the first update (1.0.1). Maybe the bug was introduced then? I admit that at one point I hacked my iPhone (just installed applications), but I have since restored it, and I was also able to replicate this on an iPhone in the Apple Store. So I don't think this is due to the hacking (or a bug in my iPhone in particular).

That said, has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone else replicate it? Is it just New York city? Is it just me?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
My experience has been that the google maps will go to target address in "Did you mean?" But will drop a pin on the city as well as the location. Perhaps its in the denser cities with more variables?

iphonecorrect

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
My experience has been that the google maps will go to target address in "Did you mean?" But will drop a pin on the city as well as the location. Perhaps its in the denser cities with more variables?

:D yep My experience also target the address.;) perhaps in the other cities

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.