Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:10 AM   #1
DesertFox
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
StarUML equivalent for OS X?

Hello,
Im a CS major who just went his first Fall 2007 programming class and the instructor was saying how he would send us StarUML files. I went to their website and they dont have a osx version of their software...
Versiotracker failed to turn up anything useful also. So, Im wondering if there is something I on osx that i can open StarUML files with. Also, is StarUML the de facto industry standard for working with UML files? What can I use on the mac?

Thanks in advance!
DesertFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 02:24 AM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus
 
kainjow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
It looks like the app is open source, so if you're brave, you could try figuring out how to port it to the Mac, or at least make a converter.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 04:41 AM   #3
DesertFox
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
I think porting something like that would be much more time consuming than just using an old-fashion windows box. I have a G4, so I cant use vmware or parallels.
DesertFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 09:46 AM   #4
kainjow
Moderator emeritus
 
kainjow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
I think porting something like that would be much more time consuming than just using an old-fashion windows box. I have a G4, so I cant use vmware or parallels.
True. I was going to suggest VMware or Parallels but those cost $$.

Edit: what about installing it onto a thumb drive to run off a PC in your school's labs? You can export the diagrams to jpeg.

Last edited by kainjow; Aug 24, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:20 PM   #5
pigoz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milan, Italy
Send a message via MSN to pigoz
I don't know if it can open StarUML's files but I found ArgoUML to be as feature rich as StarUML for my academic projects. The big plus is it's written in JAVA, thus it's cross-platform
Maybe you can ask your professor to use it or a cross-platform alternative; it's very strange for CS professors to force you to use windows ^^
__________________
Aluminium iMac 20" 2.4Ghz C2D
pigoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:29 PM   #6
maxvamp
macrumors 6502a
 
maxvamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Somewhere out there
Re-thought my comment and removed....

Max.
maxvamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 06:00 PM   #7
bccrowe
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
I am unfamiliar with StarUML - I use Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML www.visual-paradigm.com). This Java product imports and exports XMI and OpenXML project files, and also Rational Rose projects. If StarUML also imports/exports any of these formats, you may be interested in VP-UML. They have a CommunityEdition for MacOSX that is free - limits to one open project, watermarks drawings, and Community Edition may have other limitations that may make it useless for you.

Brian
bccrowe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 04:29 AM   #8
DesertFox
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
I don't know if it can open StarUML's files but I found ArgoUML to be as feature rich as StarUML for my academic projects. The big plus is it's written in JAVA, thus it's cross-platform
Maybe you can ask your professor to use it or a cross-platform alternative; it's very strange for CS professors to force you to use windows ^^
Thanks for the head up about ArgoUML. I think its definitely a winner for academia - open source, free, cross-platform. Visual paradigm also looks nice...didnt have a chance to play around with it yet. But Im definitely gonna start a discussion about why the professor is making us use a program thats only for winblows. I hate it when they do this OS dependent stuff...

Oh, while we are already talking about java stuff. I thoguht I'd ask about a java deveopment environment. What do people recommend. In my other java classes I've been using Dr.Java, which has been great. But in this class (Object Orientated Design Patterns), we are getting more into the advanced stuff. So, would Dr.Java still be enough or should I look at something more robust? I use TextMate for Ruby on Rails and love it. Has anyone had any experience with the TextMate java bundles?

Thanks for everyones help!
DesertFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:33 AM   #9
pigoz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milan, Italy
Send a message via MSN to pigoz
I didn't try Xcode yet but I think I will not switch to it for java coding. In the past year I have been using Eclipse for my JAVA projects, and I really like it.

It's very feature rich, and it has a lot of plugins to expand its functionality even more. It's very polished to be an open-surce software, mainly because it gets a lot of support from IBM.
It's written in java, so it can be quite heavy on older machines, especially under linux and osx where the JVM is not as optimized as the one in windows.
__________________
Aluminium iMac 20" 2.4Ghz C2D
pigoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:41 AM   #10
psingh01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
There is no defacto industry standard for UML files. When I was in school we used ArgoUML or Rational Rose....now I'm in the "industry" and we don't even use UML....lol
psingh01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:38 AM   #11
demallien
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFox View Post
Hello,
Im a CS major who just went his first Fall 2007 programming class and the instructor was saying how he would send us StarUML files. I went to their website and they dont have a osx version of their software...
Versiotracker failed to turn up anything useful also. So, Im wondering if there is something I on osx that i can open StarUML files with. Also, is StarUML the de facto industry standard for working with UML files? What can I use on the mac?

Thanks in advance!
Or you could try Poseidon, which is a commercial product derived originally from ArgoUML, but with a lot more polish. They have a free community version, with similar constraints to those found in Visual Pradigm's community version.

I have actually used Poseidon and V-Paradigm at work, and as a personal preference, I would choose Poseidon... As for compatibility with StarUML, your mileage may vary - it depends on what formats can be exported/imported from StarUML...
demallien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:41 AM   #12
davidlt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
I will need to use UML in studies and for wok, which of those programs support UML 2.0? As I know it's the latest version.
davidlt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:30 AM   #13
aspro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hobart, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
…In the past year I have been using Eclipse for my JAVA projects, and I really like it…
I would have to recommend Eclipse as well. It is extremely capable but it is very heavyweight and as such runs like a dog on slower computers. But if you are working on moderately complex projects it is really worth its weight in gold.
__________________

13" Macbook
[2.16Ghz/2GB/120GB/Mac OSX 10.5.1/iPod classic 80GB]
aspro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 04:12 PM   #14
DesertFox
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by demallien View Post
Or you could try Poseidon, which is a commercial product derived originally from ArgoUML, but with a lot more polish. They have a free community version, with similar constraints to those found in Visual Pradigm's community version.

I have actually used Poseidon and V-Paradigm at work, and as a personal preference, I would choose Poseidon... As for compatibility with StarUML, your mileage may vary - it depends on what formats can be exported/imported from StarUML...
Too bad they dont have Poseidon for the mac...
DesertFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #15
thangcv.it55
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bccrowe View Post
I am unfamiliar with StarUML - I use Visual Paradigm for UML (VP-UML www.visual-paradigm.com). This Java product imports and exports XMI and OpenXML project files, and also Rational Rose projects. If StarUML also imports/exports any of these formats, you may be interested in VP-UML. They have a CommunityEdition for MacOSX that is free - limits to one open project, watermarks drawings, and Community Edition may have other limitations that may make it useless for you.

Brian
thanks so much, it work so good
thangcv.it55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Looking for NoLockScreen equivalent vega07 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Jan 8, 2014 01:29 AM
MS Access equivalent on Mac NovemberPapa Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Jan 3, 2014 12:11 PM
OS X equivalent of Syncback? Wolfpup Mac Applications and Mac App Store 8 Nov 4, 2013 12:08 PM
Extract All equivalent ? Foxile Mac Basics and Help 4 Aug 26, 2013 04:44 PM
Fraps equivalent for OS X? printz Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Feb 17, 2013 10:55 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC