Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1
technologicguy
macrumors newbie

Can the iMac handle this?

Greetings,

I am new to using iMac's in general, and need to know a few things about their physiology. I am looking to purchasing one from a friend. It's the 2011 release, core i5 2.7 ghz. with 24GB's of ram. If I purchase this, I would be using it for production purposes, and putting it through strenuous tasks for days/weeks on end nonstop. I would be using various 3D software packages such as Blender, Maya, Softimage and even game engine rendering using Unity 3D, but mostly 3D Animation rendering. For those of you who have used these programs, you know it's not photoshop, these are high end programs that are really going to pound away at the CPU's and eat a lot of resources for Ram. Do I need to be concerned about it overheating frequently and frying the motherboard or ram? Can this machine handle intense CPU & RAM usage for extended periods of time? I thank you in advance.
technologicguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
My advice, get a 2012 iMac, they run a lot cooler and are more capable, especially what you need it for.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3
technologicguy
macrumors newbie

This is a unique situation though that I would be getting a good deal from my friend. :/

I also realize that the Mac Pro desktops would really be more for what I need, but since I don't have money growing out of my ears, I cannot get that particular one at the moment.

I'm looking at the 2011 iMac that I can purchase from a close friend, but I need to know if it's hardware can handle 3D rendering software for days and weeks nonstop. Any other thoughts?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
merkinmuffley
macrumors regular

It should be fine.
merkinmuffley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:19 AM   #5
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Which GPU does your friend's iMac have?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
technologicguy
macrumors newbie

I agree that GPU rendering would be much more preferable, unfortunately this iMac just has the default AMD HD Radeon Graphics. Would be more of CPU based rendering.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:50 PM   #7
librarian
macrumors member

Honestly purchasing an i5 computer just for rendering isn't a good idea, even a macbook pro 2011 with the i7 is faster than that machine for rendering.
We have one of those imacs at office and gets really slow on complex scenes.
Usually we need to reboot it every time we open a different scene in maya, it also heat up fast if you don't use SMCfancontrol.
Unless its a killer deal i would not bother.
librarian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:19 PM   #8
technologicguy
macrumors newbie

That's what I was worried about. I was thinking of putting a box fan behind it when I need to render projects. The other side to this is that it really is a pretty good deal. I checked it out last night and it has 24GB's of ram in it. 27 inch display, not a scratch on it. I wish it had Nvidia Graphics in it, but the ATi stuff would still be good. I kept thinking about the 24GB's of ram and a 27 inch display running a SSD in it. Still struggling with a decision, but I definitely can't afford a Mac Pro tower.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Che Castro
macrumors 601

How much is your friend selling it for ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 03:11 PM   #10
macalec
macrumors 6502

I would get a new iMac, especially with the Fusion drive, could make what you are looking to do much better. Also my 2012 system runs a lot better and does not get hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologicguy View Post
Greetings,

I am new to using iMac's in general, and need to know a few things about their physiology. I am looking to purchasing one from a friend. It's the 2011 release, core i5 2.7 ghz. with 24GB's of ram. If I purchase this, I would be using it for production purposes, and putting it through strenuous tasks for days/weeks on end nonstop. I would be using various 3D software packages such as Blender, Maya, Softimage and even game engine rendering using Unity 3D, but mostly 3D Animation rendering. For those of you who have used these programs, you know it's not photoshop, these are high end programs that are really going to pound away at the CPU's and eat a lot of resources for Ram. Do I need to be concerned about it overheating frequently and frying the motherboard or ram? Can this machine handle intense CPU & RAM usage for extended periods of time? I thank you in advance.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:08 PM   #11
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologicguy View Post
I agree that GPU rendering would be much more preferable, unfortunately this iMac just has the default AMD HD Radeon Graphics. Would be more of CPU based rendering.
Still depends on the model. If it's the AMD 6970m, especially upgraded to 2GB VRAM, it will render fine. If it's the AMD 6750m.. well, it will render Facebook..
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:57 PM   #12
technologicguy
macrumors newbie

He's asking 1000.00, still in original box and packaging. I would still prefer Nvidia so I can take advantage of CUDA, but I see what you're saying as well.
technologicguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 08:43 AM   #13
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

The 2007 i5 27" iMac came with a 6770M. Although not the quickest (and obviously not a 680MX) it's not 'crap'. It will do the job and if you're getting it for $1k that's a decent deal!
bmcgrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:11 AM   #14
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgrath View Post
The 2007 i5 27" iMac came with a 6770M. Although not the quickest (and obviously not a 680MX) it's not 'crap'. It will do the job and if you're getting it for $1k that's a decent deal!
With due respect the 2007 iMacs did not use i5's or the 6770M. At best they were Core 2 Duos. Either you did a typo or need to research better.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:24 AM   #15
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
With due respect the 2007 iMacs did not use i5's or the 6770M. At best they were Core 2 Duos. Either you did a typo or need to research better.
Typo. Should have been 2011! Brain fail today.

Monday.
bmcgrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac