Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpweld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
I've found a used 2.2 GHz base model MB Pro for $1800 (CDN) (This is compared to a similar refurbished model from Apple.ca for $1869.00, which would be $2130.66, or a new version which would come to $2392 roughly after tax and my student discount). It's gently used, for less that 2 months, and I've already obtained the serial number so I can call and check with Apple later to verify this information (Which I've done, so far everything seems okay). Any input as to whether this is a good deal? Should I ask for lower? I could get the free printer/ipod directly from Apple as I am a student (plus $100 off) but I have zero need for a printer or ipod, as I have both and am happy with them.

What should I check for when I inspect the computer right away? I'll inspect if before paying, I'm just curious if anyone has any advice as to what to check immediately to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Thanks!

P.s. I know i've already posted this in another section of the forum but didn't get any responses, i don't mean to bug everyone i just thought i'd try here!

Raska

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
NJ
If it's something on eBay I generally wouldn't trust it. I know there are a lot of reputable people on there, but with such a large purchase you never know...

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
isnt student discount 10% ?? so that would be 200 dollars off if im not missing something

i say get the new one

edit: if its ebay, definatly go for the new one

get the free ipod and printer and sell them on ebay:D

Raska

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
NJ
isnt student discount 10% ?? so that would be 200 dollars off if im not missing something

i say get the new one

edit: if its ebay, definatly go for the new one

get the free ipod and printer and sell them on ebay:D

That's what I'm doing with the iPod I got with the MBP yesterday. Nothing like getting almost double money back on an iPod, which I'll be putting towards the new iPod's coming out :D

cpweld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Thanks for the replies so far! It's a local deal, I found it through Craigslist. I need the computer asap because I start school in a week and need a laptop from the first day so ebay is definitely not an option.

Raska

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
NJ
I say just go to a retail store and see what they have in stock and use your Edu discount. You get the benefit and satisfaction of a brand new product as well as face time with Apple Retail staff.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
The 2.2 JUST came out. It could be a legitimate deal, but the chances are also high that this computer has something wrong with it. Not worth the gamble in my opinion.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
IYou get the benefit and satisfaction of a brand new product as well as face time with Apple Retail staff.

I didn't realize that face time with Apple Retail staff was either satisfying or something that one had access to only with a purchase.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
The 2.2 JUST came out. It could be a legitimate deal, but the chances are also high that this computer has something wrong with it. Not worth the gamble in my opinion.

If it is a 2.2 (check the system info in About This Mac under the blue Apple logo), it is under warranty and you can also still purchase AppleCare for it.

Buy the local machine.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
If it is a 2.2 (check the system info in About This Mac under the blue Apple logo), it is under warranty and you can also still purchase AppleCare for it.

Buy the local machine.

"wrong with it" meaning it was dropped, it has dead pixels, something was spilled on it or anything else that would NOT be covered under warranty. Otherwise, why wouldn't the original owner just get it fixed. My time is valuable, so dealing with a question mark isn't worth it.

cpweld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Update

Thanks everyone for the advice! I decided to go with the new machine, and got the free ipod and printer with it. I love it! Now I just need to find a good sleeve and go out and get the software I need and I'm good to go!

Thanks again!

Peafreen

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2004
MA
Excellent choice, glad you went with the new machine! Good luck with your classes.

:)
Thanks everyone for the advice! I decided to go with the new machine, and got the free ipod and printer with it. I love it! Now I just need to find a good sleeve and go out and get the software I need and I'm good to go!

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.