Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be accelerating seeds of Mac OS X Leopard to developers. After only 5 days since the last seed (9A500n), Apple has issued a new version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to developers.

The latest seed is listed at build 9A527 (client) and 9A528a (server), and reportedly list a number of less significant "known issues" compared to prior seeds.

MacScoop had previously reported that they believe that Leopard was quickly approaching Final Candidate status targetted for late August/early September, after which there would be four to six weeks of "intensive testing" before reaching "Golden Master" status.

Meanwhile, Appleinsider notes that Apple is requesting specific testing feedback, such as Time Machine, Mail's notes, 'To Do' items, and iChat file transfer functions.

Article Link

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
I hope that the list of "known issues" includes some unfortunate visual elements, e.g. the tacky 3-D dock. Otherwise, Leopard news is always exciting!

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I wish they had this many versions back in the early months of this year. I like watching these things grow.

Anyone know if they have LEAP support back in? It wasn't in the WWDC build, I heard.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Will the argument over the dock ever cease? :rolleyes:

As a member said on here once before, "Don't knock it before you use it."

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I found more information:

From Think Secret:
Just days after pushing out build 9A500n as an update to developers who have installed 9A499, Apple has released an entirely new build of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: 9A527.

Sources say Apple has included a new intro movie to Leopard with the build, removing the Spotlight-like movie from 10.4 Tiger and instead providing a sci-fi space theme one. The default desktop picture is also space themed, making Time Machine's roll in Leopard's feature set apparent.

While sources say the new build feels considerably more stable and polished than previous one, notes accompanying the release point out about a dozen known limitations, including Cisco VPN not working, slow font validation, installation failures when SCSI dries are present, and Address Book syncing not functioning.

Good for the most part. Yay! :D

iyttahmimsyafu

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
I'm finally starting to believe that Leopard is going to be ready by October.
But why didn't they just release it as an update.
I don't feel like downloading 5 gb again :S

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Will the argument over the dock ever cease? :rolleyes:

As a member said on here once before, "Don't knock it before you use it."

Seriously. I am so tired of hearing about how much the dock sucks, blah blah blah. As though the entire OS is dependent upon the graphical dock. Even so, I've grown to like it, however most of Leopards improvements aren't GUI based, but rather under the hood.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
did they get rid of the ugly tacky transparency on the menubar yet?

If you had ever used leopard or even read about it, you'd know that it can be set to opaque. I think i'll be the third person to say this, "Don't knock it before you use it."

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
did they get rid of the ugly tacky transparency on the menubar yet?

Let me be the first to say, "Don't accept it before you use it." The transparecy on the menu bar is tacky and ugly. ...but I like the 3D dock. More like... love it. It's what the dock was meant to be. :)

Rocketman

macrumors 603

Apple appears to be accelerating seeds of Mac OS X Leopard to developers.

Apple is requesting specific testing feedback, such as Time Machine, ...

It sure would be handy if Time Machine did not eat all your files on initial release.

Rocketman

Time Machine feature request:

Save virtual machines with a "small" upgrade fee of VM software, save DOS files and apps in a DOS region, same with Apple II, Win 95, Apple OS 4,5,6, Apple OS 7,8. Apple OS9, Apple OS 10.0,1,2, Apple OS 10,3,4,5, NeXT, BeOS, DEC.

products7074740

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
Software Update Updateable??

Anyone know if users of the previous build could get this update through software update?

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It's getting close folks! Rapid developer seeds are a sure fire sign leading up to a Release Candidate, followed by the Gold Master.

I'm also glad to hear that the default wallpaper has been changed from that horrid grass monstrosity. Maybe Apple's listening to our input after all. :)

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
this update is for supporting new iMac ?

as we all know pervious version does not support new iMac

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
This is excellent news. I'm getting really excited about the final release. What's this new desktop picture? I'd love to see what it looks like compared to what we (until now) thought would ship as the default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.