Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think you can do it from Apple Script - try doing a search on this.....

But I remember way back in the day at school when we were using Unix boxes (12 years ago) and we could remotely log in and post a pic on someone else's screen in the lab. ;)

D

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I think you can do it from Apple Script - try doing a search on this.....

But I remember way back in the day at school when we were using Unix boxes (12 years ago) and we could remotely log in and post a pic on someone else's screen in the lab. ;)

D

Remotely changing the desktop was exactly what I was planning to do ... ;)

I'm not that familiar with Apple Script, but I figure you can execute scripts from the command line. I will probably be able to figure that out ;)

Thanx, I'm off searching ...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I know a crude trick that works, even without AppleScript. I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but I'll report this method.

1. Create a new folder that will hold the current desktop picture, e.g., "Desktop Picture" in your home folder.

2. Copy a single image, e.g., ~/Pictures/sunset.jpg, to the folder from Step 1. Give it a generic name, e.g., picture.jpg.

3. In the "Desktop" preference pane, pick Collection: "Choose Folder..." and select the folder from Step 1. Turn "Change Picture" on and set a time, e.g., "every minute". I don't think it matters whether or not you pick "Random order".

4. Anytime you want to change desktop pictures, copy the new picture over the file from Step 2, e.g.,

cp "~/Pictures/mydog.jpg" "~/Desktop Picture/picture.jpg"

When the time you picked in Step 3 is next up, the desktop picture will change. You could even make a shell script to do the command from Step 4, e.g.,

setdtp mydog

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.