Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 26, 2007, 08:40 PM   #1
MacPossum
macrumors 6502

How to open a .wpd document?

From what I understand a .wpd document is a Word Perfect format. My question is, is there a way to open it on my Mac? Microsoft Office can't from what I've tried, any suggestions would be wonderful. I have a professor post everything in this format and it's very frustrating.
MacPossum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
irishgrizzly
macrumors 65816

i just opened a .wpd in Word, TextEdit and my browser(firefox). Try updating Word and see if that helps.
irishgrizzly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:07 PM   #3
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

I think there are actually two different .wpd files... WordPad files and WordPerfect files. I think you can easily open WordPad files, but WordPerfect are another story -- there is no converter in Office:Mac or in TextEdit. See if this helps?
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:19 PM   #4
MikeTheC

I know this has kind of been answered already, but I'd like to add a couple comments here.

The article on the Rob Cottingham web site to which the URL in the prior post points suggests AbiWord, which is an open-source word processor. While I don't object (in principle) to using AbiWord for this task, I would like to point out that my own experiences with AbiWord have been somewhat off-putting. Now, in fairness, this really has to do with the available means of porting AbiWord to Mac OS X and the Aqua environment, and isn't by any means an indictment of the programmers who wrote the thing. However, it just acts funky and flakey, not always rasterizing type correctly, getting the leading and kerning not just a little off, but just flat totally wrong, and there are also some performance and stability issues.

Not that it's 100% better, but you might want instead to try using NeoOffice, which is a Mac OS X port of OpenOffice (which, if you read the article and the follow-up responses to it, one of the posters made reference to). I believe it will (though I don't know for a fact) open WordPerfect format documents.

Ultimately, however, the best option -- short of getting the person who's giving you these WP documents to switch to something modern -- would be for them to save a copy of the document(s) in question as Rich Text Format files instead. These are far more easy to work with, and any even half-baked word processor can handle them. TextEdit natively works in this format, btw.
MikeTheC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:22 PM   #5
MacPossum
macrumors 6502

That AbiWord thing worked, thanks so much!
MacPossum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:30 PM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

I do see an entry in Neo for WordPerfect. No files to test it with, though. Certainly agreed that this person needs to be migrated (with a stick if necessary) off of Wordperfect. And make sure she/he stops using eight track tapes as well.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:34 AM   #7
hunter3740
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to hunter3740
Another possibility...

OpenOffice will also open (and save as .doc) those .wpd (a.k.a. WordPerfect) files; or, like MikeTheC stated: encourage the use of .rtf (i.e. have the WordPerfect user "Save As" and pick "Rich Text Format" as the type).

And just for the record, WordPerfect users still abound today and if you prick them, they bleed just like us.

Last edited by hunter3740; Feb 19, 2010 at 09:41 AM.
hunter3740 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:40 AM   #8
davidwarren
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter3740 View Post
OpenOffice will also open (and save as .doc) those .wpd (a.k.a. WordPerfect) files; or, like MikeTheC stated: encourage the use of .rtf (i.e. have the WordPerfect user "Save As" and pick "Rich Text Format" as the type).
I can second the use of OOo
davidwarren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:48 AM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter3740 View Post

And just for the record, WordPerfect users still abound today and if you prick them, they bleed just like us.
You're responding to a 2 1/2 year old thread.
GGJstudios is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help