Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrVidCam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
I've got a 17" MBP (with a 100g HD) that I use for video editing, as well as emailing, iCal (work related stuff). I've also got an iBook that I love for doing my creative writing. But the iBook is on the fritz and I'm considering whether to get a MacBook to replace it.

I could do my creative writing on my 17" MBP, but I don't like all that excess size, nor do I like the keyboard as much for writing. I'm also thinking of shoving my iTunes and iPhotos stuff to the MacBook (if I got one), to free up some HD space on the MBP. Then there is also the value of the laptop if stolen.

I'm sure a lot of people out there would love to have just one current laptop, but are there others out there who use more than one laptop - say one for editing and one for writing?

BTW - a 15" MBP would seem overkill to get if I've already got the 17".

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
I use my old Acer TravelMate to do the menial stuff like writing and some rudimentary surfing (since a substantial amount of my bookmarks are still with the old computer). That being said, you don't necessarily have to go Mac for your secondary notebook.

If you are bent on another Mac, though, then the low end MB should suit your needs fine.

Zianac

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
Florida
I couldn't see buying another laptop I have an old laptop that I use as a backup if anything were to happen to this one... you could always buy an external HD if you want to free up some space. Another thing I would suggest... If you really want to buy another laptop for writing you could consider buying a really cheap PC laptop. At the least that would save you some money.

If you don't really need the 17" MBP maybe you could sell it and then get the smaller 15". I suppose it's all up to you

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Not right now, but I did and I will again soon.

Last year I had a massive piece of **** Dell Insipiron that I used for a main computer (mostly because it had a huge screen so I could fit a lot) and I used my little iBook here for taking to class for notes and other stuff where more portability is a plus.

Now I've gotten rid of the Inspiron and my iBook is my everyday computer, but I'm planning to get a 15.4'' MBP soon, and when that happens I'm going to keep the iBook for portable situations like I used it before.

Hopefully my iBook will last me a couple more good years (its a Mid-2005 model so it's not that old) but I eventually plan to replace it with a low-end refurb/used Macbook when I need to.

Too Many Toys

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2003
Midwest, USA
I have a black MB, a 15" MBP & a 17" MBP on the way.

I've decided get rid of my 15" MBP & move to the 17" MBP (on order) for daily desktop replacement duty & use my MacBook for my portable, on the run needs. I want plenty of screen real estate when at my office or home, but the MB is fine for bopping in to a coffee shop, etc. So far I've been impressed with the MacBook's performance for browsing, email, word processing, etc.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I lost my laptops in a burglary. I had the C2D MBP but did not replace it because I hated the grainy screen I had, so plumped for an MB as a stopgap. About a month after I got the MB, the Santa Rosa MBPs came out and I bought one after seeing these at the Applestore.
The MBP is my main business machine, the MB my fun machine and backup in case the MBP throws a wobbly.
To be frank, the MB could do with a little more grunt in the GPU and a lot less in the CPU to be a better budget machine, but it is a fine replacement for the iBook.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Sounds like a good idea to me. If you can afford it then go for it. I used to have both a 17" Powerbook that I used for my web development and music production work and a 12" Powerbook that I used for writing, browsing the web, etc. It was nice having the 2 different sizes for different uses. I only have the 12" now, but I'm hoping to get a MBP soon to complement it.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Mac Pro when sitting at my desk.
MacBook Pro when in the living room.
MacBook for my Wife to keep her away from my Mac Pro & MacBook Pro.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.