Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard!

This will surely go down in technology history...

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
hahahahahahaha

hahahahaha. well just shows how badly they're screwing them selves over. But at least they're truthful to there word now. Wait u can say they're word now. hahahahaha

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
How to shoot yourself in the foot, by Microsoft

This is beyond funny. Word of this will soon pass around to every webmaster and IT manager. Oh, I do feel sorry for the person in charge of the site they switched to.

I'm wondering how much has been spent on this marketing snafu?

think_different

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
Thank you MS!

Sometimes one even gets to thanks for MS existing and doing their job this way just for such delightfull moments of irony.

Thank you again MS! And please, keep going this way!
Full ahead!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! I doubt Unisys are going to partner up with Microsoft again for some time yet :)

Can't wait for an AtAT article on this one :D :D

mithras

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
The URL in the story is slightly mixed up. The site is located at:

http://www.wehavethewayout.com

Incidentally, per some comments on Slashdot, check out these amusing URLs as well: They left the 'ls' program (as in the OS X Terminal) mistakenly made available for download:

http://www.wehavethewayout.com/bin/ls

Similarly, the previous BSD Unix server, which is still running, has left its /etc/passwd file available:

http://198.63.57.204/etc/passwd

This is going down in the Internet Annals of History, I'd say.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
yeah i get the same thing.

so what happened here?

unix hackers? or that microsoft server they transfered the site to sux? which one?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by krossfyter
yeah i get the same thing.

so what happened here?

unix hackers? or that microsoft server they transfered the site to sux? which one?

Most likely the latter...but as mithras posted they did leave some rather large holes open in their security...after all, if you leave the barn door open...

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
we'll never know for sure what happened

i betcha m$ isn't going to say a word about the whole mess- any explanation just digs their hole a little deeper.

and you can bet the person(s) in charge of this campaign are gonna be standing in the unemployment line right behind the guys from Time magazine Canada...

it is just too amazingly funny:p

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
afterthought

if apple has any spunk -they'll immediately coin a retort phrase such as

"help bill find a way out"
or
"they don't have the way out"
or...

print up a kazillion hats and t-shirts with the slogan and apple's logo and offer them for free on their web site.

just a thought:)

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I'd say M$ have inadvertently given us one of the funniest marketing campaigns ever!

Do you think the general (non-geek) public will find out about this though? It won't really have much effect on microsoft if nothing is mentioned about it in the general press.

iapple

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2001
This is rediculous!

It's really funny, and it also seems just rediculous for MS not to be able to use their OWN technology. This campaign is OVER! Right now! Total fail!
But it's scary to know that such an incompetant company is in charge of a 95% share of PC users.. I'm glad I use a mac!

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Ok, I know had bad Microsoft are but I am sure no one is stupid enough to make that mistake, unless the guy who bought the server was secretly a mac user!

Ensign

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.