Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How likely 6th Gen ipod has Wi Fi

• Very Likely

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Somewhat Likely

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Not Likely at All

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
Wi Fi in the 6th gen ipod, is it possible? It has not been ruled out so I'm hopping. Camera has not been ruled out either?

Best case iphone - phone + more memory ...something like that would be fantastic.

Wi Fi how likely?

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I dont think there will be any wifi. However, there is a chance; the iTunes Store on the go would be handy. Yet, Apple might not incorporate it to lower the price. Also, eventually, someone would make a hack for the iPod to alow it to get on the internet, and that would take away from iPhone sales...:/

I really want iChat on the go through Wifi, but its not very likely.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
If it does have WiFi, what is the lowest price you think the iPod would go?

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
iPhone Safari via wifi is too awesome not to have in the iPod, if you're already going to have OS X on it and the wide screen. If not now, then maybe next year.

(as well as Youtube, iChat, Flickr, Google Docs, etc.)

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
I dont think there will be any wifi. However, there is a chance; the iTunes Store on the go would be handy. Yet, Apple might not incorporate it to lower the price. Also, eventually, someone would make a hack for the iPod to alow it to get on the internet, and that would take away from iPhone sales...:/

I really want iChat on the go through Wifi, but its not very likely.

I think they do realize that a lot of people can't get the iphone because of the AT & T and because some already have a phone or need a different type of phone.

Having wifi and a browser would be something that can make the ipod stand out again.

RabidBear

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
Denver. CO
That would be so cool. Contacts, calendar management, photos, music and WiFi and best of all I wouldn't be tied to AT&T.....OOooh YEeeeeah!!.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I think they do realize that a lot of people can't get the iphone because of the AT & T and because some already have a phone or need a different type of phone.

Having wifi and a browser would be something that can make the ipod stand out again.

I guess I can see it happening now. After reconsidering, it seems plausible. My main influence to a change of belief was the Nintendo DS, actually; The browser and WiFi seem to work well, and the price combined is still under 200$.

I think this would increase iPod sales tremendously. It would, as you said, redefine the iPod once again.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I can see it happening, I mean Zune has it. Hopefully Apple will use for something useful(unlike Zune)...that seems even more likely since Jobs mocked it.

I'd like to see it, put its not as important as it once was(since I have an iPhone now)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Zap2, my thoughts exactly (though I do not have an iPhone). It's really just a matter of not using it too much, 95% of my iPod use would still be for just music... For me, it's really neither here nor there, and if it is either going to kill performance or make it extremely costly then i say just cut it, I only want the iPod part of the iPhone.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think in the interest of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), Apple will NOT offer Wi-Fi on the 6G iPod video.

I cite the following reasons:

1) When the Wi-Fi circuitry operates the battery drain increases dramatically, not a good idea for a portable music player!
2) Built-in Wi-Fi potentially makes the player vulnerable to hacker attack by a malicious Wi-Fi network.
3) The majority of iPod users wouldn't know how to configure their players to work with Wi-Fi in the first place.

Essentially, the 6G iPod video will be pretty much the 5.5G iPod video but with a full-screen display with touchscreen controls and more hard drive storage space.

nirvana06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Toronto
I think in the interest of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), Apple will NOT offer Wi-Fi on the 6G iPod video.

I cite the following reasons:

1) When the Wi-Fi circuitry operates the battery drain increases dramatically, not a good idea for a portable music player!
2) Built-in Wi-Fi potentially makes the player vulnerable to hacker attack by a malicious Wi-Fi network.
3) The majority of iPod users wouldn't know how to configure their players to work with Wi-Fi in the first place.

Essentially, the 6G iPod video will be pretty much the 5.5G iPod video but with a full-screen display with touchscreen controls and more hard drive storage space.

1/2. It works with iPhone so i dont know why it cant work with an ipod.

3. I think everybody nowdays knows how to use wifi , especially people that will spend that much money on an ipod.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Apple likes to differentiate its product lines... I don't think they'll put wifi in the iPods, because they want to up-sell you to an iPhone.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
1/2. It works with iPhone so i dont know why it cant work with an ipod.

I've been listening to several podcasts that talk about the iPhone and most of them agree that turning on Wi-Fi drains the battery really fast and also automatic joining of any nearby Wi-Fi transceiver makes the unit really vulnerable to being hacked from the outside. No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.