Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Hello,

I have another question regarding exporting videos.

As I wrote in an earlier post, I will be taking a lot of video--approximately 4 hours each week. It is with a DV camera where I will be importing the video directly from the camera while shooting, and also recording to tape in case of an emergency (crash). My intention is to have a higher quality file "locally" on an external hard drive and then use that to create a flash equivalent for upload and online viewing.

I am curious what the fastest exportation option would be for high quality DV footage. I'd prefer the file sizes to be as small as possible. Essentially, I'd just like to know what the "fastest" setting is to export the video where the conversion won't take iMovie hours to do. For example, I just recorded almost 7 minutes of video using the iSight camera and exported in two formats: the CD Rom setting took well over 10 minutes to export, while the web setting took like three minutes. Since I will not be able to get the footage back, I don't want to make a mistake.

I'll be using ffmpegX to convert to flash.

I hope this make sense. In brief, I'd just like to export the video in the shortest amount of time with the machine having to work the least and have the result be of reasonable quality.

Thanks.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Hello,

I have another question regarding exporting videos.

As I wrote in an earlier post, I will be taking a lot of video--approximately 4 hours each week. It is with a DV camera where I will be importing the video directly from the camera while shooting, and also recording to tape in case of an emergency (crash). My intention is to have a higher quality file "locally" on an external hard drive and then use that to create a flash equivalent for upload and online viewing.

I am curious what the fastest exportation option would be for high quality DV footage. I'd prefer the file sizes to be as small as possible. Essentially, I'd just like to know what the "fastest" setting is to export the video where the conversion won't take iMovie hours to do. For example, I just recorded almost 7 minutes of video using the iSight camera and exported in two formats: the CD Rom setting took well over 10 minutes to export, while the web setting took like three minutes. Since I will not be able to get the footage back, I don't want to make a mistake.

I'll be using ffmpegX to convert to flash.

I hope this make sense. In brief, I'd just like to export the video in the shortest amount of time with the machine having to work the least and have the result be of reasonable quality.

Thanks.

Get a short (2 or 3 minutes) clip with the mini-dv camcorder, and import it. Then try each export setting. Also, mess around with the Expert Settings that you can adjust manually by selecting Share>>Quicktime.

I use this primarily with great results. It's gonna take a while to render the video. There's no way around that. The higher quality you want, the longer it takes.

Brian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.