Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webteeth

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Howdy!

I'm trying to install Boot Camp on my Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. I have the latest version of Boot Camp which I recently upgraded from 1.2. I had Windows installed on my Mac previously, but deleted that partition through Boot Camp Assistant. Now, when I try to partition the drive, I get the error...

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

However, the disk is ALREADY formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I have repaired the disk through Disk Utility, and it still won't partition.

Does anyone here in the MacRumors forum have a potential solution for the problem? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
apps like the adobe suite sometimes do this, leave files that can't be moved. you can try a 3rd party application like iDefrag to try to fix the problem, but i was never successful in getting around this error.

Chafka

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I had this problem when I tried to install Boot Camp 1.4 also. I had parallels installed along with a bunch of other stuff that I ended up backing up and nuking (parallels was deleted and not backed up). The drive needs enough space to move stuff around and then resize and make the partition. I ended up with only 40 GB of my 120 GB drive used and then it worked - I did not try various sizes between 80 GB and 40 GB. Also, my windows install was only 20GB.

HTH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.