Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayzenb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
I recently purchased a MAc, i'm a first time. I've been using the windows format for 12 years. Now that i have a new system i would like to upload my old exe files into the MAc. So my question is, how can i aviod purchasing virtual pc 6 software and get around without purchasing any software.

Thank you

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Nope, sorry. EXE files are the actual application files for windows, there is no way to open them on a different operating system without an emulator. Virtual PC is pretty decent. If you have a fast enough Mac, it'll run pretty well. It won't do anything 3D like games, but for normal applications, its really quite good.

mayzenb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
further....

where can i locate an emulator that converts pc files into a Mac?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: further....

Originally posted by mayzenb
where can i locate an emulator that converts pc files into a Mac?
You can't convert PC programs so they'll run on the Mac.

You can however convert data files from the Mac<-->PC, and some of the standard file formats work with the application on either machine (usually).

MacLinkPlus will help in the times when you need things like a WordPerfect (PC) file translated into a AppleWorks (Mac) file -- or similar such things.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-mayzenb

Sun Baked is correct. The Applications are not transportable, but the files are, and usually readable without translation.

Right now, I'm typing this post on a Win2k machine, and also running an Excel Spreadsheet that is saved and hosted on my 12PB sitting next to it.

When I hit the train, all I do is double click the .xls, and it opens in the Mac's version of ecxel - no translation necessary. Sure, some may not be a nice Excel <-> Excel thing, but you can , for example, use Access-generated .mdb files in Filemaker on the Mac.

There are very few files that do not have an app that can use them on the other OS.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah documents, files and such are commonly transferable.

You seems not to understand that without windows you can't run .exe applications.

You can commonly transfer .doc and .ogg and such files on to the mac.

They are compatible, but programs are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.