Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
I was thinking... I know but let me finish. Has nobody, or know somebody or know if it is possible to take the blue ray player out of a PS3 and install it into a Mac Pro or if you are in a bind a PC? Can it be done just like that or is there something that prevents it?

Or on the other hand removed the HDDVD player from the xbox attachment?

The Stig

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
1. Opening the PS3 up
2. Converting 2.5" SATA or PATA to 3.5" connectors
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!

You can use the Xbox's HD-DVD drive with a simple USB hack.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
1. Opening the PS3 up
2. Converting 2.5" SATA or PATA to 3.5" connectors
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!

You can use the Xbox's HD-DVD drive with a simple USB hack.

1. Opening it is non-issue. They put it together, you can rip it apart.
2. This is what I'm asking. It is a 2.5 SATA connection? Can it be converted?
3. WTF? Why not, it is the cheapest BR player.
4. Profit? You take the drive out and resell the rest as parts on ebay. Save money.

Can you use Xbox's HD-DVD player as a HD-DVD player on a Mac? Could I use it on my Macbook?

The Stig

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
4. Profit? You take the drive out and resell the rest as parts on ebay. Save money.

Can you use Xbox's HD-DVD player as a HD-DVD player on a Mac? Could I use it on my Macbook?

The Stig
My eyes the Googles do nothing!

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006

The Stig

Well, for under $500 you can get a blu-ray burner that will also play movies on the windows side (according to reviews, there are hacks to get around the hdcp issues with respect to video cards and/or displays).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2010100005+1036522425&name=Blu-ray+DVD+Burner

The LG multiformat drive is pretty slick, but a cool grand, let's you play all formats, and write to everything but hd-dvd.

From the player side, with the new generation of blu-ray players out there, you can get a standalone player for the same cost as the lower tier PS3. HD-DVD players are still a little bit more than the XBOX one.

cheers.

cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.