Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimmer10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hello All,

I have installed Vista on a second partition using Bootcamp and all works fine until I plug in my USB powered hub which has 2 External HD's and an external DVDRW.

If I have the USB hub plugged into the iMac and try to start Vista, it locks up at a white screen.

If I unplug the USB hub from the back of my iMac and try to load Vista it boots correctly. Once booted into Vista I can plug my USB hub into the iMac and all my drives show up as normal.

It appears as maybe there is a boot conflict when the ext HD's are connected? What should I check in windows or in Bootcamp?

Thanks in advance.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
The same happens to me if I try to boot XP with my external hard drive on, or (more annoyingly) have a CD in the drive. I just turn my HDD off until XP is booted.

bimmer10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I just did a test by shutting all the drives off (2 HD's and 1 DVDRW). I then turned on 1 HD and tried to boot up, no issues. I then turned on both HD's and tried to boot up, no issues. I then plugged in the iOmega DVDRW and boom, lock up. So it looks like for some reason it does not like having the Ext USB DVDRW connected during boot up.

Oh well, I can live with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.