Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esquire013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Man it's embarrassing to have to ask this question.

Recent convert from the PC world. I'm using my SP 2200 that worked great on the PC for borderless printing.

I followed the online instructions for installing the driver. It shows up in the print manager and as an option for printing. When I try to print a photo, there is no borderless option. I've seen articles online saying that it should be an option, but for some reason, I can't find it.

I'm 99% sure I'm using the Epson driver instead of the GIMP driver. When I first tried to install the printer I ended up with the GIMP driver. I uninstalled that driver and tried again. The interface looks different now, so I think it's different.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
In mine it is like choosing the paper and then the paper has the borderless option.
In other words, I can print to 11x14 but to print 11x14 borderless I have to choose 11x14 borderless paper in the print/page setup.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Yes, as the previous poster has said, you have to choose the correct paper type.
There is yet another caveat with 2200 and borderless printing.
If you print on glossy or luster paper with Photo Black, you can choose that borderless paper and print without any problems.
However, if you have Matte Black loaded in your printer, you CANNOT make borderless prints with Epson driver.
To add insult to injury, when you change matte black to photo black, you have to reinstall the printer driver :rolleyes:
My solution to this is two OS X printers (called 2200M and 2200). I loaded each ink, then created a separate printer for each of the configurations...

mangopod

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Can you print borderless 4x6 prints from a mac? There is no longer a borderless tab, there is no 4x6 borderless paper to choose from, where is the magic button?

Does it really need to be this hard?

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
It is most certainly possible to print borderless 4x6 with 2200 - on glossy or luster paper, with Photo Black ink. In that case, 4x6 borderless appears as a possible choice in the paper type list.
The printer will not let you select a borderless 4x6 if you have Matte ink plugged in (it will also give you plenty of problems even if you temporarily swap the black ink cartridge to Matte).

mangopod

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I have the Epson 1280, ahould be simular to the 2200, there is no setting for 4x6 borderless

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
I have the Epson 1280, ahould be simular to the 2200, there is no setting for 4x6 borderless

1280 is hardly similar to a 2200 (sorry, I thought the discussion was still about the 2200).
And even if it were - "similar" does not count here, unfortunately... The 1280 uses a different driver (you are using the latest Epson driver, correct?). The possible paper sizes are determined by the driver.
If Epson's own driver does not do borderless 4x6, my advice would be to try the GIMP-Print drivers built into OS X. While you might get a bit... different colors, it might be possible to print borderless using these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.