Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
First off all, sorry for my language, english is not my native.

My horror experience with Apple starts in august 2006 when I order at the online Apple store my first Apple product ever, its was a Macbook.
After 2 weeks I received it, but unfortunately it had a dead pixel so Apple replaced it straight a way.

The replacement unit arrived already after one week.

In September 2006 I'm working on my Macbook when suddenly there is smoke coming out under the keyboard. WTF, is my Macbook on fire? I immediately disconnect the MagSafe connector and close the laptop. After couple of minutes I removed the battery of the unit and check to see if there is some damage, but besides the horrible smell in my room, there is no damage to see. The only thing is that my Macbook is completely dead as well as my connected iPod Nano.
Next morning I've contacted Apple Customer Support in the Netherlands and after a lot of talking and sending a letter of complain to Apple Customer Relations, Apple agreed to replace the Macbook and iPod Nano (at first they only offered a repair for my 5 weeks old machine).
Four weeks later I received my replacement, unfortunately is was DOA. Not working at all. The replacement iPod Nano had a crooked screen and was therefore also DOA.

Again contacted Apple which replaced the machine and iPod Nano again but this time for a Macbook Pro (very generous of course!). On my request configured with a glossy screen.
After 2 week I received the new Macbook Pro and iPod, the iPod Nano was good, but the Macbook Pro was configured with a non glossy screen, despite my request for that.
I contacted Apple Customer Relations again (it was November 2006 at the moment), and finally Apple agreed to replace the unit for one with a glossy screen.
After 7 weeks! (First week of January 2007!) I received finally my new Macbook Pro with a glossy screen. It was working perfect and I was very happy again.

Until couple of months later I noticed a problem with the battery, it started to swollen. With much difficulty I could receive a new battery - took me 4 weeks -.

In May this year the screen of the Macbook Pro started to malfunction. Reason I decided to write a letter to sjobs@apple.com. Couple of days later I received a phone call from "Mr. Jobs personal assistant" (Executive Relations). The agent was investigation my case (79075018) and would call me back within a week.
After a week I got a call from him back and the agent from Executive Relations replaced my Macbook Pro for a new one. After 2 weeks I received the new unit but like many other people there was an issue with the screen. The bottom 1/3 of the screen looks extreme yellowish and also the audio line out was not functioning.
The Executive Relations agent agreed that that was unacceptable and offers me a refund or the option to send out again a new Macbook Pro. I choose the option for new unit (as I love MacOS as well as iLife and iWorks) and on my request Apple would test the unit before it was send out to me. After 2 weeks I received the new unit but despite the fact 2 engineers checked the machine it had a dead pixel. Seeing my case history that was unacceptable. The executive relations agent agreed and decided to offer me again an upgrade, this time Apple offers me a 17" Macbook Pro. I didn't agree with that, as 17" is to big for me, instead we both agreed to upgrade the harddrive to a faster model. Apple really did there best to make me happy.
Also Apple agreed to send out a Apple iPod Hi-Fi speaker on my request as compensation for all the bad luck.

After 2 weeks (July 2007) I received a call from my executive relations agent telling me the new unit was arrived and would be tested the same day. The next morning I received another call from him, Apple could not send out the new unit as they discovered a problem with the closing lid. Therefore he had to order a new unit again at the factory. This time all parts of the Macbook Pro would be hand picked and build buy one of there best engineers. After that, it would be send to Cork Ireland (European head office) for another check and finally it would be send out to me in the Netherlands.

This week august 28th I received that new "handpick" unit. Unfortunately it came with a broken harddrive. At first the "Disk Utility" discovered some serious problems, and after a full reinstallation of the machine (on advise of Apple) the harddrive isn't discovered anymore. Apple simple didn't test the unit long enough, they received it on 12am, and on 2pm I already received an email that the new unit was fine.

I've talked about the issues with my Executive Agent and was astonished, surprised an above all extremely disappointed to learn that Apple would not send out a new unit. Main reason was that the case needed to be closed and he could not justify another replacement to the management.
Instead Apple would refund me (the price I had paid for the Macbook a year ago) and with the refund I could buy a new Macbook at an Apple Reseller (in the Netherlands we do not have an Apple Store, only resellers).
As compensation I would still - only when I would buy a new Macbook - receive a iPod Hi-Fi speaker.

Bad thing is that I do like MacOS, iLife and iWorks applications. It's simply the best OS ever made. I've used the apps frequently for school and as a result 90% of my documents is in the filetype of iWorks (Pages and Keynotes). Unfortunately I can not open these files with Microsoft Office. As a result I'm forced to buy back a Macbook as otherwise I could not use my documents anymore.

Why do I need to carry the consequences after I have already experienced such an amount of bad luck. Don't get me wrong, yes I do understand that this is a bad situation for both Apple as for me, however, I already was disappointed and Apple makes that even worse.

I have asked my executive relations agent who's decision it was to not replace the new unit. The reaction of the Agent "Who do you think it was", the name that needed to be fill in was Mr. Steve Jobs himself.
So bottom line, due to all the bad experience I have been upgraded to an Macbook Pro and at the end Mr. Jobs downgrade me back to a (refund) Macbook. Well Mr. Jobs, you have officially generated your most disappointed customer in the world.

Apple is apperently not able to provide me with a good Macbook Pro. And instead of trying to make they customer happy after all this back luck you decide to make the customer even more disappointed.

Thank you Apple.

Please make me happy, Digg my story:

http://digg.com/apple/Steve_Jobs_Apple_CEO_downgrades_customer_from_Macbook_Pro_to_Macbook

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I hope your personal life is a bit better than that awful experience, however I strongly doubt that Mr. Jobs, himself, had any say in this.

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
that's about the worst apple story i've ever heard. i'm really sorry. i agree that you should keep complaining until they give you a working MBP. you shouldn't stand for them trying to downgrade you after all that hassle.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You make it sound he downgraded you from your original purchase - you bought a MacBook originally, not a Pro.

It was generous of them to give you a MacBook Pro after all the problems, but they are HARDLY going to refund you with more money than you bought the original MacBook with are they?

mrb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
You make it sound he downgraded you from your original purchase - you bought a MacBook originally, not a Pro.

It was generous of them to give you a MacBook Pro after all the problems, but they are HARDLY going to refund you with more money than you bought the original MacBook with are they?

That is not what I'm asking for. I only would like to have a good Macbook Pro. The reason Apple upgraded me from Macbook to Macbook Pro is because of the bad experience. Reason I can not understand why Apple after I already had such a bad experience says "you only get a refund".

I LOVE MacOS and the iLife and iMovie applications. Its the best software aivaleble. Reasons I always trusted Apple and kept patience waithing for a solution.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
To be honest, you sound a bit picky...perhaps even unreasonable. Apple seems to have gone out of their way to really make you happy. Had it been me, I would have been enthralled that Apple upgraded me to a MBP (even if it wasn't glossy). And even more enthralled that they exchanged my non glossy for my choice of a glossy even if it had 1 dead pixel. Sounds like they really went above and beyond.

My 2.4 MBP has at least 3 dead pixels, maybe more. I only notice them if I am looking for them.

Maybe you should have kept the non glossy or the notebooks with 1 dead pixel...

Good luck.

mrb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
To be honest, you sound a bit picky...

My 2.4 MBP has at least 3 dead pixels, maybe more. I only notice them if I am looking for them.

Maybe you should have kept the notebooks with 1 dead pixel...

Good luck.
I agree with you, but it is quite bad if you know that 2 Apple engineers inspect my Macbook Pro before sending it out to me.

In a normal situation I would accept it, but seeing my case history I believe such things are unacceptable. It iss for me the complete case (experience) all together. For me it are not individual issues.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
To be honest, you sound a bit picky...

Maybe you should have kept the notebooks with 1 dead pixel...

Good luck.

Or even try to get the screen replaced at a service center. You have to realise you were costing Apple a lot of money with the send backs and upgrades. Steve or his assistant must've reached tipping point.

mrb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Or even try to get the screen replaced at a service center. You have to realise you were costing Apple a lot of money with the send backs and upgrades. Steve or his assistant must've reached tipping point.
Discused that, but in that case it would also be possible that I receive a screen that is even more worse.

Penti

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
Is it really picky?

I sympathize with your experience mrb2, and I don't believe there's anything "picky" about expecting a high priced product to meet it's specification in full.

I've had a similar experience with a Macbook purchase, also made towards the end of 2006. My first machine was experiencing the random shutdown issues frequently, as well as restarting it's self when closed. Apple agreed to replace that with a new machine, and after a few days I received not one but two Macbooks by courier. Surprised, I put one to one side while I started to use the other machine. This turned out to suffer from shutdown issues also, so I transferred over the the second replacement. That machine also had issues, a faulty optical drive, and so both were returned to Apple, who kindly agreed to upgrade the RAM in my replacement to compensate me for the inconvenience as well as for my honesty in returning the second machine. Following the optical drive repair I continued to experience shutdowns and restarts, and a second repair was made to replace the airport card as this was suspect in the shutdown issue. Each time the machine was repaired it was returned with dirty marks and hairline cracks in the casing, and following the second repair, had a warped case due to an over tightened hinge. Around 9 months after the original purchase I again had to send the machine for repair due to the casing issues, and again it came back with additional cracking and un-replaced parts.

I am now awaiting a third replacement machine. Apple have agreed to upgrade the HD, and have previously thrown in a copy of iLife 08, which will now be preinstalled on the new machine. Whilst the customer service and speed of repairs has been first class, the quality control seems to be a huge issue. I only hope the next machine is the last one in this chapter of my Mac usage. How am I supposed to recommend the machines I love when the quality control is so unreliable?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So to break it down, here are all of the replacements that Apple's sent to you:

MacBook - dead pixel
MacBook + Nano - battery issue
MacBook + Nano - MacBook DOA, nano crooked screen
MacBook Pro - wasn't glossy screen
MacBook Pro - "malfunction"
MacBook Pro - yellow tint / audio out
MacBook Pro - dead pixel
17" MacBook Pro - closing lid problem caught by Apple before shipped
17" MacBook Pro - hard drive error

I think it sucks that Apple is incapable of getting you a perfect laptop.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to have come to the same conclusion. I don't think you can say that they didn't try.

If they have to sell every system that you returned (again, through no fault of your own) for $200 less (as a refurbished), they've put themselves out $1800.

At some point, that had to stop.

mrb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
So to break it down, here are all of the replacements that Apple's sent to you:

MacBook - dead pixel
MacBook + Nano - battery issue
MacBook Pro - "malfunction"
MacBook Pro - dead pixel
17" MacBook Pro - closing lid problem caught by Apple before shipped
17" MacBook Pro - hard drive error

I think it sucks that Apple is incapable of getting you a perfect laptop.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to have come to the same conclusion. I don't think you can say that they didn't try.

If they have to sell every system that you returned (again, through no fault of your own) for $200 less (as a refurbished), they've put themselves out $1800.

At some point, that had to stop.

MacBook - dead pixel
MacBook + Nano - Dead after smoke comming under the keyboard
MacBook Pro - battery issue
MacBook Pro - dead pixel despite apple check machine
MacBook Pro - closing lid problem caught by Apple before shipped
MacBook Pro - hard drive error

Of course I agree that there is a limit, and agree they did try alot to solve my issues. However they never test the unit for more than one or 2 hours. The only thing they do is put it on, have a look and close it again. They have refused my request to test it fore example 1 or 2 weeks.

It's simply made me sad that Apple isn't able do deliver a good Macbook Pro. Reason for my post is to write things of my chest. I'm so sad about the situation and still hoping that Apple reconsiders there decision

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Personally, I think you were expecting too much out of a company. I don't believe that Apple is required to send you this many replacement machines. All they could have done was refund your money after the first machine that you were not satisfied with.

But they decided to go out of their way and send you a couple of machines at their expense, and even upgrade them at no cost to you.

I understand that its not your fault at all, but its a business thats out to make profit- they just cannot keep sending you machines until you are satisfied.

mrb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Hmmmmmm. You've changed your mind about wanting a refund?

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/3801379/
Yes, please let explain that.

I have a lot of documents made in iWorks and after talking with an Apple technician I learned I could not open these documents in MS Office.

Also I do love Mac OS, iLife and iWorks, for the simple reason they are great applications. Not to talk about the fact that on a mac you would never have to worry about virusses or bad poppups.

And of course, I'm honest about the fact that whit a refund a can never buy back a laptop with the same specifications as the Macbook Pro.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It's simply made me sad that Apple isn't able do deliver a good Macbook Pro.
Yeah, it's definitely crazy that Apple is incapable of delivering you a good MacBook Pro. I don't think anyone here can come up with an explanation for that.

But it is what it is, and the only solution I can see is for Apple to give you your money back so you can repurchase locally and deal with that store in regards to your satisfaction since Apple (via mail) has proven that they can't get it right.

mrb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Personally, I think you were expecting too much out of a company. I don't believe that Apple is required to send you this many replacement machines. All they could have done was refund your money after the first machine that you were not satisfied with.

But they decided to go out of their way and send you a couple of machines at their expense, and even upgrade them at no cost to you.

I understand that its not your fault at all, but its a business thats out to make profit- they just cannot keep sending you machines until you are satisfied.
I agree, but sometimes its a relief to write down a bad experience.

I do understand that a company can not keep sending machines.
However I feeling it as a reliefe to write down my experience.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
I agree that this is some really bad luck, suffering from bad luck myself. Let's be honest about it though, you bought a MacBook, and Apple made very effort to please you, but you're lucky they even accept a a notebook for 1 dead pixel. Most limits in the industry for LCD screens is 7 dead pixels before it becomes a warranty issue. I'm sure I have a dead pixel, and at some point will incur one, but I'm not going to be that picky especially if I use my MacBook mostly for word processing. 1 dead pixel will not kill your ability to make/create documents.
There is a point to when the company has to decide to cut their losses. A business has every right to refuse service with a customer. Now, even with all they have done, they haven't refused full service, since you still have the ability to get your original MacBook. Now you want to complain that you can't get a MacBook Pro. That wasn't even your original purchase, so don't complain about that part of the whole ordeal. If you really want a MacBook Pro, save up some more money and go get it. If you get 1 dead pixel, I suggest you live with it in the grand scheme of things.
Not trying to sound bitter, but you have two posts on this. 1 post you say you're still an Apple fan, the other fan you say you're not. Make up your mind, and stick to it.
I truly hope your next MacBook works for you, but realize and look at it from outside the box, your original purchase was a MacBook, they tried their best and I will agree at times it wasn't sufficient, but don't look for sympathy because now you can't go use the credit you have to get a MacBook Pro. You can use that credit to get a MacBook, the computer you set out to get originally.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
From the corporate side.

This is sort of stupid, you got your money back.

You are a PIA customer, most companies would enact the "stop-loss" policy far earlier than this -- just to get rid of you.

Nothing against you, but management probably figured there was no way to satisfy you -- EVER. So they got rid of you.

You might try suing, but any court would toss that out. Since you were fully compensated for your loss.

And unfortunately, time spent on the phone or being mad doesn't generally count.

Unless they take the computer out of your hand, whack you upside the head before throwing the cash in your face. :p

---

From your side.

It was a pain getting flawed machines, and I can understand your anger.

Especially after getting two upgrades to machines costing far more than your original purchase.

The loss of all that tech value is depressing.

---

But you poked them once too often, and meeting them in the middle and getting a machine "within spec" -- ie, a couple dead pixels -- should have had you jumping for joy at the bargain you had landed.

Penti

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
But you poked them once too often, and meeting them in the middle and getting a machine "within spec" -- ie, a couple dead pixels -- should have had you jumping for joy at the bargain you had landed.

This is all true, but they guy has a right to vent a bit. At the end of the day there does seem to be an issue here. Apple should be able to supply high quality machines on a consistent basis. If your original purchase has a fault it is understandable once in a while, but when the manufacturer is consistently unable to supply a fully working replacement, there's an issue somewhere.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country

This really sums this whole thing up, for me. Sounds like he got greedy, to me.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
This is a case of extreme bad luck. Personally, though, I would have just kept the MacBook Pro with mat screen. It would have been a very nice upgrade from the original Macbook order. But you had every right to return it. I'm just telling you my choice. I've been through my fair share of bad luck and exchanges, with Apple and other companies, and I have learned that it's just best to accept what you get (imperfections included) and move on, or simply ask for a refund and move on. Perfection is also too hard to find in this world, certainly now that everything is outsourced and made in China. But even when it's made in Japan, it won't be perfect. After two exchanges of a Sony F-717, and somewhat being picky, I confess, I simply returned it for a refund. Months later, I bought a Sony F-828 and couldn't be happier about it. Sometimes, it's just fate telling you that you don't want a specific product but something else. Sometimes, it's not what you exactly had in mind, but when you learn to accept it, life just becomes better. That's how I go through life, lately.

P.S. One dead pixel is also usually well within specs. Some companies won't exchange if you don't have at least three in a cluster--at least, that was some time ago when I went shopping for a screen for my brother (got him a perfect Eizo screen, by the way).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.