Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ankit S.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hey, I'm hoping you folks can help me out with this bizarre problem I've been having.

I've got a MacBook running OS X, and here's the problem I get.

Let's say I've got Firefox, Adium, Finder and Quicktime windows open. I am using Firefox, but I want to switch to Adium. If I click Quicktime in the dock or its window in an attempt to switch focus to that window, I'll click it, but then it'll lose focus and go back to a program I was using before.

i.e. I'm using Firefox, then switch to Adium, then switch to Finder. I'll click on the Finder window, but then it'll lose focus and Firefox will pop up on top of the window, even if I didn't click on it!

It's not just limited to these programs, pretty much everything loses focus when I click on it, and the focus goes back to a random program that I was using before.:confused:

I'm really confused, since this doesn't happen on my other macs. Is it some weird setting?

Any help would be appreciated.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I'm really confused, since this doesn't happen on my other macs. Is it some weird setting?

Restarting your machine often fixes a lot of weirdness. When did the problem start and did you install anything right before it started happening? If restarting doesn't help, and the machine is still under warranty, call Applecare. Best wishes.

Ankit S.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Restarting your machine often fixes a lot of weirdness. When did the problem start and did you install anything right before it started happening? If restarting doesn't help, and the machine is still under warranty, call Applecare. Best wishes.

Yep, it occurs even after restarts.

I have noticed that it only started happening after I reinstalled the OS X, for some reason. It didn't happen before I reinstalled. Should I reinstall again? I don't want to lose all my programs and settings. :(

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Since it started after you reinstalled, I don't think it could hurt to try reinstalling again. An Archive & Install will not erase your programs or data and will preserve your settings. If you have a backup drive, backup before reinstalling (just to be extra safe). Best wishes.

Danux

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
I fixed a mac with a similar problem and found your thread while I was googling the answer. I found a piece of software running called insomniax. This program basically disabled the mac's hibernate ability so that it wouldn't disconnect each time the book was closed. Not only is this a silly idea because it blocked off the vents on the mac preventing cooling (when the screen is down and the system is still running on full power!), but also seemed to be the reason that the windows were losing focus.

I closed and removed the program, suggesting the user might want to just turn all the brightness off their screen then they wanted to use it as a jukebox.

If you are running insomniax, or something that maybe disabled/added features similar to what i described to your mac i'd look into those as a possible problem causer.

paulasimoes

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
strange problem with windows focus

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, I have a similar problem with my macbook pro. I am starting to think that it could be because of Virtue Desktops and I was wondering if you use it too.

[edit: I found here, that probably is a Virtue Desktops problem]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.