Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1
Qast
macrumors newbie

Connect Mac to PC to share external hard drive - never prompted for password

(I apologize if this is the wrong forum).

So, here's the deal: I have a 250 GB external hard drive preformatted in NTFS. I am trying to network my Macbook and my PC in order to give the Mac access to this volume. I would like to keep it NTFS due to file size restrictions (of Fat 32) and the drive will be given back to someone who uses Windows exclusively.

When I try to connect to the PC, I receive an error saying, "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct." The problem is, I am never prompted to enter a password.

I ran the wizard on Windows to create a small network. The workgroup is the same on both machines. I have tried doing it wirelessly and wired. I have enabled Windows and Personal Files Sharing on the Mac. I have disabled the firewall on the PC. I have set the volume up to share.

When I look at the "Network," the workgroup of "Mshome" shows up; however, it shows up as being "Zero KB." In other words, there is no 'space' there.

It has become rather frustrating. I don't know why it is telling me the name and password are incorrect when I haven't even entered the name or password. Yes, I have made sure my account has a password. I've run the network wizard several times--although I'm not sure if there are several different networks; I'm not sure where to even find that.

When I use the "Go" and "Connect to server" I use the following syntax: smb://IP/Mac -- it doesn't work. I'm not even sure what to do at this point.

I have installed MacFuse and the NTFS-3g driver on the Mac, but it seems rather slow and I'm nervous that it's buggy and I'll lose data.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Qast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 03:42 AM   #2
eluk
macrumors 6502a

If you "Connect to server" with the following syntax: smb://IPaddress you should then be offered a choice of available shares to connect to.
MacBook Pro 2.33
eluk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Qast
macrumors newbie

I did try that as well. It did not work. I was never prompted for a password or anything. :/
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:36 PM   #4
eluk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qast View Post
I did try that as well. It did not work. I was never prompted for a password or anything. :/
Were you offered any servers?
MacBook Pro 2.33
eluk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Qast
macrumors newbie

No. I'm not offered anything. I simply receive an error it "could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct." Like I said, I can see "Mshome" in network and open the folder, but zero KB are available.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help