Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeKiD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Hi guys. After 4 year of use, I'm starting to feel that my G5 1.8 single CPU is a bit slow in terms of encoding video. It can sometimes take days... really, days and not sometimes just for 5min. of video. Anyways, I've been looking at some charts but I'd like to hear from people who jumped from the first Generation of Powermac G5 to Macpro and see how it changed your editing speed from rendering to encoding to anything else which changed your life.

Also, is the 8 core really worth buying? Any update for the macpro soon? Price dropping maybe?

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Updates may come in the next month or 2, depending if you can wait or not.

The jump to 8 cores from a single G5 would be astonishing.

The graphics cards currently offered are sub-par and are outdated at this point. Luckily, I don't rely on it as much as others do.

If you can wait, it will be worth it, or else you'll pay a premium right now.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I went from a 2 GHz power mac G5 to a 2.66 Mac Pro. I don't do a great deal of video editing, but what I do happens a lot quicker than it used to .. :)

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I'm holding off, to upgrade from my dual 1.8 G5 to an octo beast.

I'm just a programmer who likes to photoshop/edit video and play games. I don't think I really need it, but damn I really want it.

the octos will rip through FCS 2 stuff. with compressor 3.

Also, don't laugh, iMovie 8 is amazing on an octo.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Nobody except Steve Jobs knows for sure, of course, but...

Mac Pro updates are overdue, both from a pricing standpoint as well as a graphics card standpoint. Nothing is likely to happen before Leopard's release, though, so if you think it's worth waiting (get in line...) it'll likely be October at the earliest before there's any update to the Mac Pro line.

Expect more current graphics card options (but probably still not bleeding edge) and expect 8 core machines to trickle down into the "Faster" and perhaps even "Fast" range.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
It is very possible that by years end the Mac Pro could go all octo. Naturally that would be much better than your PM. I think it would be a good idea to wait.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I have a Single PM G5 too, and I've had it for 3 years now. It's a snappy computer for everything such as internet, music, photo editing(photoshop 7.0 max) and some light video work. But now as I get into video editing more seriously, I can tell that my system takes FORVER to encode video.

I would go for a 24 inch iMac, highest spec.

LeKiD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
I have a Single PM G5 too, and I've had it for 3 years now. It's a snappy computer for everything such as internet, music, photo editing(photoshop 7.0 max) and some light video work. But now as I get into video editing more seriously, I can tell that my system takes FORVER to encode video.

Hey G5Unit, I heard that if you are getting seriously involved with editing not to go with imacs... It wouldn't be the best concerning many factors and espacially the upgrades thinking longterm less cost. More people could tell you why but check your moves carefully. Btw, thanks for the replies guys!

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Hey G5Unit, I heard that if you are getting seriously involved with editing not to go with imacs... It wouldn't be the best concerning many factors and espacially the upgrades thinking longterm less cost. More people could tell you why but check your moves carefully. Btw, thanks for the replies guys!

Well I am just a high school student, I'm not setting out to start a business.

LeKiD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
But I guess I'd like to know what will it be really for the encoding time. Cause it is really disastrous hours, sometimes days of encoding. From what I heared, we can't see any difference with certain codecs... is that true? And how fast does a macpro encodes HDV movies to high quality, like Apple ProRes?

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a

Well I am just a high school student, I'm not setting out to start a business.

Guys, i think you should NEVER go for an iMac over a Mac Pro for real video editing, unless it is for funding-restricted class rooms, etc... They make good design machines, but the lack of any expansion really limits them.

Video takes a lot of resources and optimizing over a standard setup. Ideally, you would want to have a separate, fast system/applications only HDD, Large storage HDD's (500Gb would be a good starting point), at least 4GB of ram, video out to a tv monitor, etc...

While an iMac will fulfill some of those needs and has some pretty high processing power, and with the recent addition of more FW connectivity may be good for students, it does not offer what pro's or serious users will need.

One obvious lack is an express card slot or expansion slot - meaning you can't move to eSata, which is where a lot of video is moving these days for fast external storage or raids for speed.

These are just a few of my warning thoughts. Imacs can do video, and will be fine for certain circumstances or needs, but as far as longevity is concerned, it is doubtful to be able to continue to fulfill the needs of a main editing machine for 3 years or so. A little more money invested now can save you a lot later in terms of money and capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.