emac to imac through firewire? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 1, 2007, 02:22 PM   #1
bill-gates
macrumors member

Unhappy emac to imac through firewire?

hey guys is there anyway to take the os off an emac and transport it to a imac g5 through firewire, im just trying to save money bying the disks when i can just try and send the os through fire wire

because the imac g5 has no os
bill-gates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
macrumors regular

Did you wipe the OS off the iMac? If so, do you have the OS disks that came with it? It would easier to use those.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 02:41 PM   #3
zap2
macrumors 604

Sorry, you can send the OS through FW...and if you could, it would be illegal!
Old Sep 1, 2007, 02:46 PM   #4
bill-gates
macrumors member

Unhappy

it did not come with disks or os just a powercable mm and keyboard

and i meant by send the os by give the os to the g5 and there would be no os on the emac
Old Sep 1, 2007, 02:50 PM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Well, I'm going to slightly depart from my usual characteristic response...

How did the iMac come to have no OS, and why don't you have its system restore DVD? If you lost / disposed of the system restore DVD, you nonetheless still own a license for the version of OS X that was previously on that Mac. I guess even, in principle, if the system restore disc had been given/sold to another user who was actually able to install it, that person too already had a valid license to the same version of OS X.

Assuming then that the eMac has the same version of OS X that the iMac shipped with (probably Tiger?) and it's fully updated, there's a destructive way to accomplish what you want:

1) Install SuperDuper on the eMac
1.5) This is probably optional, but I recommend it. Create a new administrator user on the eMac and don't log into it.
2) Bring the iMac up in target disk mode and attach it to the eMac; it should mount as a disk drive.
3) Clone the eMac drive to the iMac drive using the settings to erase the iMac drive before cloning (don't use the disk image setting or anything like that). This is the destructive part; you'll loose any data on the iMac.

When (3) is done, the iMac drive will be a bootable clone of the drive in the eMac. Since they're both PPC Macs, OS X should be willing / able to use this installation. For safety sake, I would boot the iMac off its drive at this point and log in to the new administrator account you created, as it will not have any settings that could interfere with your iMac hardware. It should autodetect everything hardware-wise and work properly.

Under any other circumstances, though, this is illegal. Using this technique, or any other, to run more copies of OS X than you have licenses is illegal. Even here it's on the darker end of grey.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 05:07 PM   #6
bill-gates
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
Well, I'm going to slightly depart from my usual characteristic response...

How did the iMac come to have no OS, and why don't you have its system restore DVD? If you lost / disposed of the system restore DVD, you nonetheless still own a license for the version of OS X that was previously on that Mac. I guess even, in principle, if the system restore disc had been given/sold to another user who was actually able to install it, that person too already had a valid license to the same version of OS X.

Assuming then that the eMac has the same version of OS X that the iMac shipped with (probably Tiger?) and it's fully updated, there's a destructive way to accomplish what you want:

1) Install SuperDuper on the eMac
1.5) This is probably optional, but I recommend it. Create a new administrator user on the eMac and don't log into it.
2) Bring the iMac up in target disk mode and attach it to the eMac; it should mount as a disk drive.
3) Clone the eMac drive to the iMac drive using the settings to erase the iMac drive before cloning (don't use the disk image setting or anything like that). This is the destructive part; you'll loose any data on the iMac.

When (3) is done, the iMac drive will be a bootable clone of the drive in the eMac. Since they're both PPC Macs, OS X should be willing / able to use this installation. For safety sake, I would boot the iMac off its drive at this point and log in to the new administrator account you created, as it will not have any settings that could interfere with your iMac hardware. It should autodetect everything hardware-wise and work properly.

Under any other circumstances, though, this is illegal. Using this technique, or any other, to run more copies of OS X than you have licenses is illegal. Even here it's on the darker end of grey.
its ok i just sold the imac for 300.43 on ebay

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs