Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Invizzible

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
I just upgraded my 400 Mhz G4 Powermac with a 1.4 Ghz processor (I got the Gigadesigns upgrade). It has the Apollo G4 chip that is supposed to have 256k of L2 cache running at processor speed, and 2 M of L3 cache running at some fraction (1/6th I think) of the processor speed. But when I ran Xbench, it told me that the L2 cache was only running at 700 Mhz, and that the L3 cache was running at 4.17 Ghz!! Anyone know what's up with that?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I haven't found the Xbench info to be terribly reliable. I ran it yesterday on my 1 GHz TiBook, and it reports 867 MHz, which disagrees, of course, with the Mac System Info.

Verison 1.0 of Xbench came out the beginning of the year, with not a single update since. At least that's the only version I could find on their Web site. Personally, I think people put too much stock in Xbench.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by cb911
isn't xBench still being developed?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just use another testing program.

how many other mac benchamarking programs do you know of?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by cb911
isn't xBench still being developed?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just use another testing program.
Well, they're taking their good old sweet time about it :)

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Some really fast processor upgrades (like the giga designs) have problems having their speeds recognized properly by many programs. I don't know why, but they do. Poke around xlr8yourmac.com for more answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.