Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 3, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1
dionido
macrumors newbie

Powerbook G4 won't start up. Help!

Yesterday evening I normally turned off my Apple Powerbook G4, and today when I tried to turn it did something pretty strange...
I could hear the internal fan go on, and the light clicking sound that means the computer is working, but nothing appeared on the screen; it remained completely dark. The LEDs of the cap lock and num lock are active, as are the battery indicators lights on the bottom side of the laptop, but otherwise I can't get any reaction from it. I tried shutting it down (I had to actually remove the battery to do so) and rebooting OSX from the installation cd, but the only thing that I gained was that now the cd is stuck inside and no progress was made!
I also tried booting it in firewire mode while connected to my iMac (via firewire cable) but again to no avail...

I'm really not a tech guy so I don't know what else to try... has anyone else had this problem? i can't find anything on the net about this particular problem...

thanks!
dionido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Reflow
Try hooking you an external monitor to is to see if you get any video
Old Sep 3, 2007, 09:48 AM   #3
twocargar
macrumors newbie

Re: Powerbook G4 won't start up. Help!

Try zapping your PRAM and NVRAM and see if that helps. Here's a how-to from Apple's support page:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Other than that, was there a power failure or surge recently?

Good luck,

TCG
Old Sep 3, 2007, 09:52 AM   #4
teleromeo
macrumors 65816

looks like the screen is dead or it starts up thinking the lid is still closed.
Leave the lid open, hit the power button and enter to shut down and hit the power button again.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:05 AM   #5
sabr
macrumors newbie

i've been having this same problem for months now, and i believe it's a common problem with older powerbook G4s.

my temporary solution is to reset the PRAM and NVRAM, as an earlier poster said. although, sometimes, i have to reset it more than once to get the screen working.

my applecare ran out before i started getting these problems, and so i never got it serviced.

if anyone has any permanent solutions or fixes, i'd be very interested to know
sabr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:10 AM   #6
dionido
macrumors newbie

mmm

no no power shortages.... anyway i tried the NRAM etc... but nothing worked! btw, i don't think it's just a screen problem, because even though the cpu does appear to be on, it doesn't react to force shutting down (power button held down) or other commands that would work if it were truly running...

hmm
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:18 AM   #7
dionido
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabr View Post
i've been having this same problem for months now, and i believe it's a common problem with older powerbook G4s.

my temporary solution is to reset the PRAM and NVRAM, as an earlier poster said. although, sometimes, i have to reset it more than once to get the screen working.

my applecare ran out before i started getting these problems, and so i never got it serviced.

if anyone has any permanent solutions or fixes, i'd be very interested to know

so far it isn't working for me, but i'll keep trying... i hope it'll work!!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:34 AM   #8
dionido
macrumors newbie

nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionido View Post
so far it isn't working for me, but i'll keep trying... i hope it'll work!!
i've tried again and again, but nothing happens. I don't even hear the startup sound... and every time to turn the cpu off i have to take the battery out, because the power button works only to turn it on!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs