Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fussball

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2003
Hi all-
I just repainted my iBook case to navy blue. When I was putting the case back on, I managed to strip the heads of 2 of the 4 hex head screws that help hold the upper case cover on to the back of the lcd display. anyone have any idea as to where I may be able to find some replacement screws? (some torx head screws would be nice- the hex heads are a very poor choice for this application.)

BTW- no pictures at the moment as the cable for my digi cam is MIA at the moment.

thanks- john

fussball

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2003
well- for the optical drive, you only need to take the bottom cover off, I would assume- and the bottom screws have 2mm hex heads. the top case uses smaller one. there are also 4 phillips head screws under the foot pads. the bottom case is a PITA to get off- be VERY careful, as it takes a good amount of force, but everything is also fragile. those sizes are for a 14.1" book, and not a 12"- I can't guarantee they will be the same- but they should be :) HTH

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
there used to be a site that sold heaps of Apple parts, like TiBook cases and individual parts. i can't remember the URL, perhaps someone else has it.

it would also be good if you had a buddy working in an Apple store or reseller. ;)

fussball

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2003
it would be great if someone could help me out with that site! I guess I could rummage at radio shack or somewhere like that- but I doubt I will have any luck

fussball

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2003
I've got the pics on my computer now, but nowhere to host them :-(

also- I emailed the smalldog.com guys and they have the screw set for the iBook... sweeet!!!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
my old failsafe for most screws (including hex) is to file a deep groove across the head of the screw, then use a simple flathead screwdriver . Not the prettiest, but it works...

pnw

fussball

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2003
paul- I was planning to do that, but the screws are so small I don't want to do that for fear of destroying them completely

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.