Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rendition

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
The question is in the subject title. What's the best PC free program to convert DIVX and XVID files into MP4 videos that the iPhone can play? Thanks.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Yep, Handbrake. Occasionally a DVD is protected and you will need to use MACTHERIPPER first then Handbrake. Both sites have everything you need to know.

Rendition

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
It seems Handbrake only works with DVDs and doesn't work with individual DVIX .avi files no?

cowm007

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
I believe the question was how to convert Divx/xvid files to iPhone, not rip DVD's to iPhone which is all HandBrake can do.

The only free app I know of is ffmpegX, which you can find here: http://homepage.mac.com/major4/ It converts to many different formats and should be able to handle iPhone files.

The other options are ElGato's Turbo.264 hardware encoder, or Roxio's Popcorn which is a nice utility (although rather expensive).

Rendition

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I want an app for Windows, I think iSquint works on OSX, but I have a spare Windows XP machine which I'd like to use for video encoding.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Doh, by PC I didn't realize you meant Windows. Ok for Windows it's easy. Get this app: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPhone/ It has a nice GUI and should be able to handle most files you throw at it.

I also use videora on my Windows tower when I set up some batch conversions and it does a great job. Sadly I don't think it supports dual core processors so it won't be lightning fast but still fast enough.

I use the VGA H.264 2 pass encoding and think it looks great for the size videora does. I leave a copy on my windows tower that I stream to my SD TV's and they look good.

erickufrin

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
I found a bunch of other "pay" programs which just errored out when trying to convert....

I downloaded videora, installed, and executed my first conversion.... It appears to be running!! :D I will report back. :cool:

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
videora is a good, free solution. That's what I used to use before I switch to a mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.