Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I've never bothered to try out the mic fully - and was messing about in GarageBand and decided to record me playing the first section of Sweet Child O' Mine on my acoustic.

Blimey, didn't expect the quality to be so clear! I've got a Firewire Mixer that I plug a Shure mic into and it takes a lot of fiddling to get a decent sound.

GarageBand and the mic amazed me.

Recorded Clip.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
The mic does pick up very well. Also depending on how long you've been playing, you don't play that badly.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, the first time I tried a musical instrument with the condenser on my iBook, I was amazed also. I was trying to pick up the clarinet at the time, and I needed to hear what I sounded like. :D

angelleye

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
I've never bothered to try out the mic fully - and was messing about in GarageBand and decided to record me playing the first section of Sweet Child O' Mine on my acoustic.

Blimey, didn't expect the quality to be so clear! I've got a Firewire Mixer that I plug a Shure mic into and it takes a lot of fiddling to get a decent sound.

GarageBand and the mic amazed me.

Recorded Clip.

Hey, it looks like you've updated your Macbook specs since you posted this..?? I had one of the little black Macbooks and I was also very, very pleased with the quality of acoustic guitar I was able to get from my little laptop. Then the thing had to go and die on me.

I just got a brand new Macbook Pro that of course has all of the updated iLife 08 stuff. iMovie blows donkey balls so I had to download the 06 version but I'm still screwed because the Mic in this thing sounds like absolutely crap. The voice isn't that bad, but the acoustic guitar sounds horrible no matter what I record with, be it iMovie or GarageBand or Adobe Soundbooth or whatever. I'm very saddened by this. :(

Have you noticed the same thing???

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I haven't tried recording on my Unibody MBP yet - but when on Skype, a few folk noticed I sounded different.

I'll try recording something again - although I have a FireWire mixer (FW400 though, need to invest in a bloody FW800 adapter).

angelleye

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
I haven't tried recording on my Unibody MBP yet - but when on Skype, a few folk noticed I sounded different.

I'll try recording something again - although I have a FireWire mixer (FW400 though, need to invest in a bloody FW800 adapter).

please give it a shot on your unibody when you have a moment, but just with the internal mic like you did originally when you posted this. I'm curious to know if the mic really is worse in these or if maybe mine's bad.

Thanks!

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
does anyone know where the mic is?
and when i use it to record, i notice that it 'peaks' out a lot so i end up having to put the mic input REALLY low.. i dont know if im playing too loud but thats what it seams.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
California
does anyone know where the mic is?
and when i use it to record, i notice that it 'peaks' out a lot so i end up having to put the mic input REALLY low.. i dont know if im playing too loud but thats what it seams.

It's underneath the left speaker grill. Be careful when talking to other people and using the built - in speaker. They may hear horrible feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.