Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Sep 3, 2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Knuckleheadz
macrumors member

Airport Extreme & USB Hard Drive - Cannot access file

Hi there,

A friend of mine has an iMac and a MackBook which connect wirelessly to his Airport Extreme (b/g/n).

Today he got delivery of a WD 500GB external hard drive which he is going to use a an AirDisk.

I popped round to helo him set it up as I work in IT and he hass only a little knowledge.

I attached the hard drive directly to the iMac and formatted it as HFS+ Journaling, unmounted it and then connected it to the Airport Extreme.

Ran Airport Utility and set the hard drive to ask for the WPA Passphrase before mounting, restarted the Airport Extreme.

Straight away it saw the Hard Drive which mounted successfully on the desktop (after putting in the WPA Key)...

The problem he has is that he can see all the folders/files, he can create new folders/files, move folders/files and delete... but when he is working in Word 2004 or Excel (the only two apps he has tried) on a document that has already been created, makes changes and then attempts to save it to the AirDisk he gets the following message:

"MS Excel cannot access the file 'file location path' there maybe several possible reasons:

the file name or path does not exist
the file you are trying to open os being used by another program
the name of the workbook you are trying to save is the same as the name of another document that is read-only
Try saving the workbook with a different name"

Looks to me like a permissions issue, but I am not at his place to test...

Anyone seen this before and resolved it?

Cheers

Jon
Knuckleheadz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 03:14 PM   #2
R.Youden
macrumors 68020

At least you can access the USb drive, non of my machines can even see my AirDisk!
R.Youden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Knuckleheadz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Youden View Post
At least you can access the USb drive, non of my machines can even see my AirDisk!
Sorry to hear that mate....
Old Sep 4, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Knuckleheadz
macrumors member

can anyone help me and my friend with this issue?

many thanks
Old Sep 5, 2007, 04:34 PM   #5
macleod199
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckleheadz View Post
can anyone help me and my friend with this issue?

many thanks
Were the documents put on there before he hooked it up to the router, or after? I can only overwrite files that I have created on the Airport Disk, not ones that other users have or that were created beforehand.
macleod199 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 06:34 AM   #6
smountifield
macrumors newbie

Hi there

I am the guy written about by knucklheadz. It sounds the same problem macleod199. I can not overwrite files that are already on the HD. Just get the message mentioned by knuckleheadz earlier. Also, if i open powerpoint presentations, that were already created by me, they only open in a 'read only' format (or after a while make themselves 'read only').

I have now backed it all up and am now attempting to reformat it and start again...........

Not sure about extended or Jornaling???
smountifield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Kilamite
macrumors G3

I have my AirDisk formatted as FAT32 - and I can create, edit and overwrite an Excel document no problem.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals