Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Sounds like that is the "quickest and simplest way." Did you read the guide here? They say it takes hours. Re-encoding video, unless you're running an 8-core Mac Pro, will be a looong process.

joshuachay

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
I noticed the same thing too when I had to rip a couple of Bollywood films from DVD to .mov files for an assignment (and I'm Chinese...) and handbrake immediately told me it would take 9 hours to rip a 3 hour film (!).

What I did was I dragged the dvd's contents to my desktop, which took not more than 15 mins, then pointed handbrake to it. Went down to 2-ish hours after that (or shorter).

Yeah, I know its a 2 step process, but it works for me. Its true what Eidorian said, the optical drive is the bottleneck. Just sharing my (less than prefect) methods :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I noticed the same thing too when I had to rip a couple of Bollywood films from DVD to .mov files for an assignment (and I'm Chinese...) and handbrake immediately told me it would take 9 hours to rip a 3 hour film (!).

What I did was I dragged the dvd's contents to my desktop, which took not more than 15 mins, then pointed handbrake to it. Went down to 2-ish hours after that (or shorter).

Yeah, I know its a 2 step process, but it works for me. Its true what Eidorian said, the optical drive is the bottleneck. Just sharing my (less than prefect) methods :D
3 hours, ouch. I'm surprised that the DVDs weren't copy protected either.

joshuachay

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
3 hours, ouch. I'm surprised that the DVDs weren't copy protected either.

It was truly a pain... But that's what you get when you let other people pick out your assignment topics

And if they were copy protected, it would have been even more longer. But we're talking about Bollywood movies here :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It was truly a pain... But that's what you get when you let other people pick out your assignment topics

And if they were copy protected, it would have been even more longer. But we're talking about Bollywood movies here :p
MacTheRipper isn't bad at all on an external drive. 13-15 minutes for a single layer on my 16x one.

I had a suspicion that the content had something to do with it. :rolleyes:

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
i use DVD2POD, its real simple, like put the dvd in and then choose the quality and its ripped.

ds252

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
I don't know if your against this but you can download movies and tv shows already encoded and this was you can download multiple things instead of only converting one at a time...Still will take some time depending on how recent it is but it's probably a good idea. Get utorrent if you don't have it and then find some torrent sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.