Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to numbers from iSuppli, Apple's iPhone outsold all smartphones in the United States in July. This represents its first full month of sales and accounted for 1.8% of all U.S. mobile handsets.
The two models of the iPhone on the market sold more than Research in Motion's Blackberry series, the entire Palm portfolio and any individual smartphone model from Motorola, Nokia or Samsung.

The data was collected through a consumer survey of 2 million participants in the U.S.

Cellular-news offers some additional statistics from iSuppli's survey.

- 57% of iPhones bought in July were U.S. consumers 35 years or younger
- 52% Male, 48% Female
- 1/4 of iPhone purchases switched to AT&T from another provider.

Apple had previously stated that they expect to sell one million iPhones by the end of September, with a longer term goal of grabbing 1% of the cell phone market.

Article Link

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Not bad, Apple. I'm still wondering if they will manage the big 1%, but it seems that they are doing well at this point.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
They are aiming for 10 million by Q4 of 2008... I don't know how that fairs with regards to market share
I believe in the keynote they said almost 1 billion (950-960 or so?) phones were sold in 2006. This was January 2007 that it was announced, so I'm assuming those were complete 2006 numbers.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I believe in the keynote they said almost 1 billion (950-960 or so?) phones were sold in 2006. This was January 2007 that it was announced, so I'm assuming those were complete 2006 numbers.

That's correct. 10 million units is roughly 1% marketshare, according to the numbers we've seen.

ddubbo

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
It seems to me these are the same analysts that predicted that Apple would sell 500K - 1000K of iPhones on the very first weekend, when actually it barely reached 250K?

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
It seems to me these are the same analysts that predicted that Apple would sell 500K - 1000K of iPhones on the very first weekend, when actually it barely reached 250K?

Says here that they sold 500k on the first weekend

Kind of curious, who would rate this negative?

I wouldn't say it's negative from a shareholders perspective, the iPhone has really affected the share price in a positive way...

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Not a bad first month, for sure. Just imagine how well they'll do when the next gen comes out, as well as (hopefully) other models, etc. Once the iPhone matures, it's going to do quite well.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I remember seeing iSuppli stating how much the iPhone components cost Apple, but I don't recall them predicting any sales figures.

July was "launch month" for Apple. It's cool to hear about how well the iPhone sold then, but I'm wondering if it can maintain July's momentum throughout the rest of the year? You'd think that even as well as it's selling, August sales would be lower.

stormdrums

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
munich
these numbers are really impressing. i think the "iPhone-isation" will gain momentum with more and more people using this phone and showing it to others who then decide to buy it, too.
the next interesting point is, that apple is earning much more money than the other phone companies because they are selling as much as all other companies together and only have to pay one development group

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Not a bad first month, for sure. Just imagine how well they'll do when the next gen comes out, as well as (hopefully) other models, etc. Once the iPhone matures, it's going to do quite well.

like iPod sales going up and up since the first gen in 2001, imagine if they could repeat that with iPhones!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I am curious to see how sales will be for Aug, Sept and Oct. I have the feeling that July is the bleeding edge folks who had pent up demand for the new toy. Does the iPhone have "legs" to take Apple to their 1% of the market goal? I find it hard to believe that :apple: can accomplish this with a $499 and $599 device.

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Assuming the survey is accurate, if 1.8% of all phones sold are iPhones, then after a little more than half the average lifespan of a phone, it should reach that 1% marketshare mark. And I've heard the average lifespan is a little over two years, so if demand ramps up (and a new version comes out) over the next 12-15 months, they may hit that Q4 08 target.

I say demand should ramp up because the first month's sales will almost definitely be higher than the next few months. Still, with phone contracts being the way they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the dropoff was minimal, as more people see their contracts end with other carriers.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
like iPod sales going up and up since the first gen in 2001, imagine if they could repeat that with iPhones!

That would be amazing. Probably won't happen like the iPod, since the iPhone is hitting a very mature market, whereas the iPod hit a young, largely untapped market.

But still, I really only see the iPhone gaining momentum. Hitting the 1% mark be end of next years seems very doable.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This is great news.

I can't wait to see various levels of iPhone just as there is the iPod, one for different markets. I'd love a 1gb mini iPhone :)

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
These are great initial numbers. It is likely apple will release an iphone-nano type product in the future... that's where we'll start to see big sales numbers.

Personally, I don't think I could ever be happy with a conventional cell phone again. I use the iPhone constantly... it is just so handy.

My wife lost her RAZR, and we got a free Nokia 6026. It isn't a bad phone, but it makes me realize how nice the iPhone really is. (We're waiting to see if a smaller iPhone comes out to get her one)

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
the next interesting point is, that apple is earning much more money than the other phone companies because they are selling as much as all other companies together and only have to pay one development group

Not exactly.

THey outsold the whole Blackberry series and all of Palm's offerings, but "just" sold more than each individual smartphone from Nokia, Motorola and Samsung. That means that Nokia's whole lineup outsold the iPhone. :)

As i have no idea what each company's margins and R&D cost are, I can't comment on the making more money statement.

Still impressive though. I thought it would do good, but not this good.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Ok so they are the most popular Smart phone but how many people buy smart phones vs ordinary phones.

To me a smart phone is just a phone with a lot of junk added that gets in the way of it being a phone.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
That would be amazing. Probably won't happen like the iPod, since the iPhone is hitting a very mature market, whereas the iPod hit a young, largely untapped market.

But still, I really only see the iPhone gaining momentum. Hitting the 1% mark be end of next years seems very doable.

good point, i'll be getting one for sure.

I also feel it will help sales of Macintosh computers, many anaylists and market people indicated iPods have this effect, but that's a whole new topic...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.