Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
The Register seems to think that Apple will release Dual G4 servers at AppleExpo Paris:

Such a move would, of course, allow Jobs to unveil new hardware at the show without... well... announcing new hardware - if you see what we mean - as he promised in a press release a week or so back. That goes double if his lieutenant, marketing chief Phil Schiller, unveils the servers at Seybold a couple of days before on the 24th.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Nice

To clear my ignorance about it.... what a server do that a normal computer can't? and, why a server would need 2 processors? As much as I know the servers doesn't really need too much processing.

Thanx.

P

portal

G4 Servers

Whether dual or single processor, I hoping before too long that Apple decides to enter the enterprise market with its server systems.

What I'd personally like to see are rackmount solutions with RAID 5 and redundant power supply , dual NIC configurations. I'd love to run Mac OS X server, but unless you have two physical machines with a complicated clustering system set up, you're still at a loss if the power supply fails or other internal system component. I know you could set up an external RAID, and that after buying the Mac you can buy some extra rackmount kits from other companies, but none of these solutions are very savvy or cost-effective. It's time for Apple to offer turnkey solutions for us system admins. Rackmount 1-U or 2-U high Mac OS X Servers for web, e-mail, & application hosting. That'd be very sweet.

ezotyrik

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2001
G4 Servers -- but why?

As far as coolness is concerned, an attractive 1U or 2U G4 Server w/ all the goodies ( 2 nics, fibre channel, whatever) would be nifty. However, unless you have cash to burn, I have to ask why?
All the services (http, dns, etc.. ) would be available via opensource anyway. So why not get an infinitely cheaper x86 OpenBSD machine? I doubt the GUI is going to count for much on a server you'd rather leave alone. Plus you're relying on Apple to issue security patches, etc.. instead of a larger more proactive community.

-Ezo

ceese

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2001
Washington D.C.
OSX & Linux

What I'd love to see is a truly kick ass mac development kit and a Apple server suite with the GUI ripped out of it. Then you could install a highly optimized server on the new the Yellow briQ Node, http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/briQ , and administer it from your workstation.

It would kick the **** out of NT and compete with traditional unix servers for performance. It might also start to take back some of the ground Microsoft holds in the business market. It would require less costly skill sets because most of the day to day admin stuff would not require higly skilled developers. It could be done in the Mac GUI on workstations by systems people with essentially the same skill set as NT administrators.

Wait what am I saying. That's a terrible idea, I like my developer job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.