Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I'm editing pictures in aperture and have a quick question - how come my 'master' files don't change when I edit them?

Quick info list:
1. my masters are backed up somewhere else so editing them is a-ok
2. aperture references my masters
3. i'm not creating versions. just clicking on what i think are the 'masters' and either deleting them or editing.

i changed one picture (erased some small dirt specks) and then I went to add the changed photo to my desktop background...the changes weren't there?

I must be doing something wrong - i checked the manual and i seem to be on track.

Cheers,
Keebler

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
thats the main feature of aperture! :D all changes to your image are stored in a seperate file in aperture's library

non destructive editing lets you make any changes you want to your photos and go back and adjust them later. To see changes to the files, you need to export them. File > export.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Hi folks,

I'm editing pictures in aperture and have a quick question - how come my 'master' files don't change when I edit them?

Keebler

LOL, that's one of the biggest points of using Aperture - your master files are NEVER changed, no matter what you do (unless you delete them!).

Any changes you make are stored in a very small file that basically notes just the changes themselves. That means if you have multiple versions of a large file, the size doesn't triple, etc, just a small increase.

If you want to use a file you've edited, you need to export it as Jpg or whatever format you choose.

Aperture rocks - you'll soon figure it out!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
LOL to save you the trouble, i just slapped myself a few times.
i'm so used to non-destructive editing with final cut that it's embarrassing that I didn't think properly. what a goof.

Sorry 'bout that :)

lol

oops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.